bit of advice on prolapse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bit of advice on prolapse

One of my chucks prolapsed yesterday, I separated her as one of the other chicken got wind of it and started chasing her around. I have given her only corn and water and darkened the spare coop so its darker and I hope she will start to stop laying.

I have smeared the area in honey, and pushed it back, but it was pretty red and sore. I spoke with the vet, but he wants to see her - since she is the worst for travelling and that will stress her considerably I'm trying all I can without him

All I needed was some antibiotics, dont mind paying the consultation fee without the bird there, why oh why does he need to see her - I dont need to be told its a prolapse and they dont tend want to deal with chucks as they just put them out of their misery.

Can't help you with prolapse info tlck9, but when I took one of my birds to the vet's the other day I found that putting her in a cardboard box with a lid she could see out of seemed to calm her during the journey. I used a plastic fruit-type tray from the local supermarket, which happened to fit on top of the box, and held it on with elastic. It's full of holes so she could see me through it, and I was able to lift the edge so she could see over the top of the box too (no, I wasn't doing the driving!!). She had a really nasty chest infection so the last thing I wanted was to stress her and make her breathing worse. Might be worth a try if you can fix something up?
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

They need to weigh her to measure the correct dose of antibiotic. I had to take a goose in to my vet for the same reason.

Comment

Cardboard box with shavings in the bottom is perfectly fine. I had to take Chooks to the Vet once, and was expecting them all to die of fright, but they were fine. Well behaved, perfect patients, in fact.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

leave the shavings out they will stick to the prolapse if it comes out again---an old towel is better. Keep her in the dark, she won't know whats going on and have some special treats to hand- meal worms.

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
            leave the shavings out they will stick to the prolapse ...
            See! I AM an idiot! Hope she's OK.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

you are not an idiot at all- a hen of mine wouldn't even make it to the vet- it would be despatched immediately- I know from experience that 95% prolapses reoccur and god knows how much pain the bird must be in.

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                you are not an idiot at all- a hen of mine wouldn't even make it to the vet- it would be despatched immediately- I know from experience that 95% prolapses reoccur and god knows how much pain the bird must be in.
                I'm with you on this, but she's running around as though nothing is wrong, I cant cull a bird that in theory isnt showing an signs of illness (apart from a sore bum if she was hunched, I'd have got rid straight away!

Comment

chickens do not tend to show visible signs of pain unless they are close to the end. They can be most unpleasant to each other, if it prolapses again pts. fingers crossed it is the rarity that does not!

Comment

Are prolapses really that painful?

I've known an awful lot of wimmin with prolapses ( don't ask! ) and they've not been dreadfully painful.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

its because women are too tough to complain....!

Comment

you obviously have never met my wife!

Comment

I decided to make the hard decision and had her dealt with. I was unable to get the prolapse back in as I had with another ex batt chuck and it had started to look like the flys may get to her - rather than leave her until she wasnt eating or moving I took the decision earlier.

She looked less chirpy so I felt it best to let her go

Comment

That's sad but the right decision I'm sure. ((((((big hug)))))

Comment

Thanks frias, it's a hard decision, something taking on hybrids & ex batts I'm coming to realise is more inclined to happen, still doesn't make it easier

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X