Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girls or boys?? Please tell me what I want to hear..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls or boys?? Please tell me what I want to hear..

Hi. I recently acquired 2 new youngsters with the promise that I can exchange them if they turn out to be cockerels. Problem is of course, I'll be too attached to them by then, so fingers crossed! I've tried to take photos but they're not being very co-operative today - can anyone take a guess at this stage please?

The bigger one (lighter coloured one, Cobweb) was apparently born on 21st April and has a much paler comb but has started honking in a most unladylike fashion . The smaller one (Tufty for now)was born on 27th April and has a much redder comb, but no more 'developed'. S/he is quite a bit smaller than Cobweb.

I'm told that Cobweb's father was a pure breed araucana and mother an ameracauna. Tufty's dad was also a (different) pure breed araucana, mother a cross araucana / pedou (hence the crest). 'Pure breed' may well mean something different over here, plus they're from a hobbyist rather than a professional breeder, so I'm just passing on what I've been told!

Any ideas as to sex yet?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kathyd; 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM.
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

i like the rumpless one. The lighter combed looks like a female to me- without a closer inspection of saddle and hackle feather(round or pointed)it could be pale combed yet male if it has mites of course. The red combed one has an odd comb for araucana- or is that the photo? shine a torch in the dark - males are glossy. Probably both female- our male araucanas were much more glossy - more prominent combs and redder colouring at that age. time will tell!

Comment

I hope you're right! The red combed one is more of a mix than the other I think - araucana plus padoue or something - padoues have big pom pom thingies on top of their heads, maybe their combs are odd as well. I have no idea what they're called in English I'm afraid. They're both rumpless, quite cute in a weird sort of way . Really cheeky too. I've not had them quite this young before .

Comment

I cant tell you ,but my neighbours didnt like my cocks at silly o clock in the morning,nice chooks though

Comment

No, I can't imagine they did Carol! Luckily I live in quite a rural area and there are already other ppl around with cockerels I hear sometimes, so hopefully IF we get a cockerel at some point it won't matter too much. I always thought the countryside was quiet, but it's not at all, is it? There's always some kind of noise or other, natural or man-made!

Comment

I have no idea but I am sure your average reneck Breton would find it very amusing to sell an English girl a couple of Cockerals.

Did you still want onion sets? I shall be over tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
              I have no idea but I am sure your average reneck Breton would find it very amusing to sell an English girl a couple of Cockerals.

Did you still want onion sets? I shall be over tonight.
              Hi Paul. Lol, thanks ;p . I do want onion sets yes, but I don't think they're in the shops yet because it's still a bit early... I've found a supplier who'll post to France too, plus my daughter is coming over mid-September if all else fails, so thanks ever so much for offering but I think you're off the hook this time . Have a good journey.

Comment

Thanks...3 days late coz wifes car in garage overheating probs...go to collect it and the cambelt snaps on mine! scrapyard!....On the cheap boat to Dieppe+ driving coz I refuse to give Brittany Ferries £653 (without a cabin) to St Malo. Grrr...bit stressful....sorry.....Sure it will all be fine when I sit and breathe the sea air avec beaucoup de vin.

Glad you have some onions sorted....mine spring sown very poor in comparison to Autumn ones this year.

Hope your chooks lay eggs!....if not enjoy the coq au vin!

Comment

Poor Paul... never mind, the meteo has promised us fantastic weather next week (and as we all know they're NEVER wrong are they ), so you can just chill / bake and enjoy yourself, and unwind a bit . My autumn onions were way better than the spring ones too, but no doubt it'll be opposite next year just to catch me out! Enjoy your hols.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X