new girls causing problems!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new girls causing problems!

after a couple of losses we replaced with 2 new POLs yesterday, a black sussex and a 'coral'? Not heard of these before but she is all white
    Made the introductions yesterday to the 4 old girls who are suddenly all best buddies and made their thoughts very clear about the newcomers!

We clipped one wing of each before we let them loose.

Knowing that eventually they have to just get on with it, we worked out in the garden all day and there were no real fisticuffs, only squabbling and shrieking at each other.
    Just after dark we went down to see where they had managed to roost as obviously they will not know where to go.

Both missing. The white one was up on a 6 foot fence between us gleaming in the moonlight and our neighbour with 2 large dogs (!), so re put he rin the coop and the black one was understandably nowhere to be found. Looked and looked but did ont find her.
    Can't find her again this morning. My old girls will come to the rattle of the corn tin byt of course she will not know this! Our property is surorunded on 2 sides by conifers (clipped to 8 feet) then thick scrubland, brambles trees etc. You can barely get through it.

We are hoping she wanders back at some point, but not got much hope of finding her.

I can't understand how they can get up the fence at 6 feet or over the conifers (meshed off behind them too) with a wing clipped?

Have clipped another inch or so off the white one this morning, but am wondering as becasue they are so young and light it make sit easy for them to flutter even with one wing clipped?

Sorry for long post, you'd think after 4 years I'd know what I was doing!?! But never had this before...

Oh hope the new chook turns up soon Janeyo!
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I saw a young cockerel at someone's house kind of run up a fence to get over it... maybe your's did the same?? So sorry about the other one, hope she finds her way back soon
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

not found her

Last edited by janeyo; 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

That's really sad . How's the other one coping, being the only newbie on the block?
          sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

she is being picked on and spending most of her time on the roof of the coop, only coming down if one of us is in with her. I have picked up 2 younguns today, (10 weeks) not let them out yet, but she has happily eaten some food sprinkled round them (they are in cat basket gettig acclimatised until dusk when I will pop them in the coop), and they not bothered by her either so hoping they will stick together. Thanks x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X