10 week olds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 week olds

So I couldn't get another hen to replace the one that has done a 'runner' until next weekend, by which time I thought the left behind one would have been alone and picked on for too long. So today I sourced 2 brown hens, but they are only 10 weeks, v friendly little things. The new white one has met them and no fighting at all, so am hoping they stick together.
    But what do they eat? I guess they can't go onto layers just yet?
    Last edited by janeyo; 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM.

And can I clip the wing at this age or do I have to wait? Don't want anymore to escape

Comment

Never clipped wings so can't help there,but feed the young ones "growers pellets/mash" until 18-20 weeks then onto "layers pellets/mash". The difference being mineral types & amounts that are needed to encourage chicks to grow into strong healthy hens
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thanks, will get some in the morning, they will have to make do with some corn until then!

Comment

They don't sell growers' pellets or mash over here, so young birds go straight from chick crumb to adult foods at about 4 weeks according to the bags... We have 6 x 8-weekers here at the moment which seem none the worse for it, although I'm not convinced they ate much of the crumb to be honest. Goodness knows what they survived on! I'm guessing they ate mushy layers' pellets (I put out both dry and soggy ones to cater for fussy eaters in our 5* Michelin chicken shack), and filled up on wheat and whatever they found in the garden/run. They all seem healthy and happy anyway, so I shouldn't worry too much if your's don't get the 'official' food for a couple of days .
          sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Kathyd, over here you can get growers pellets they are called Poule Poulet so they move from Poussin to Poule Poulet and then on to Pondeuse.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
              Kathyd, over here you can get growers pellets they are called Poule Poulet so they move from Poussin to Poule Poulet and then on to Pondeuse.
              Really?? I asked for them locally and they thought I was bonkers... (well, they're probably right on that one but...). They just said give them pondeuse. Oh well, I'll know better next time . And to be honest, the chicks do seem fine on what they've been getting. But thanks for the info - if/when I breed my own chicklets, I'll be able to do things properly for a change!
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X