Day 21 at last :-)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 21 at last :-)

Day 21 at last, I woke up this morning with 1 egg with a big hole in where I can see the chick moving about and it occasionally pokes its beak out, and 2 others with small holes but still got the membrane over so can't see. I'm so excited, can't wait for them to come out just wish it would hurry up. Got to sit on my hands a little longer.Very happy :-)

in an incy, or under a broody?

Comment

Hi chris, there in a incubator, 1 has not long hatched and another 2 seam more lively like there trying to get out. There silkies btw. So excited :-)

Comment

Me too!!!...come on- they must have hatched by now???...stop playing with them and let us know what's going on!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I can just see Adam, pacing up and down in the delivery room...........

Comment

No it's still only 1 hatched with another 2 doing a lot of rocking now. There is another 2 that are doing nothing, they were defiantly alive on day 18, time will only tell if they will hatch :-)

Comment

The other 2 are now out, doesn't look like the last 2 will hatch. So out of 6 eggs, 5 were fertile and 3 hatched. Not bad for my first hatch :-) . Might get some more eggs to put in when these come out the incibator.

Comment

Aww...well done!

Now then...te he...put them down and leave them alone tonight!...they'll still be there in the morning!!!!
                Last edited by Nicos; 13-10-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Hi nicos, I have some news for you. They won't still be here in the morning. I have been out all day and have come back to 1 of the chicks that hatched today dead and the other 1 that hatched today is lying lifeless on the floor with very little breathing. I can't believe it, so upsetting .I don't know what it is. They are in the same incibator as the other 1 and that is fine, running around like nobody's business, and really fluffy, I was wondering if there was something wrong with these 2 as they haven't dried out at all and its like the feathers are stuck to its self? Do you know what this could be? As I say the other was fine, and I have moved it to my brooder tonight and its loving it, I know someone that has got a silkie that is a week old and he has given it to me which I'm going to get 2moz to keep this 1 company. Any help or advice welcome. Thanks all

Comment

My guess is poor stock. Silkies are a very delicate breed at the best of times and if the parent stock is unhealthy or poorly nourished they will produce weak offspring. If you decide to hatch again make sure the eggs you buy are from a reputable source and that you see the parent stock to see how good they look. TBH I wouldn't recommend silkies as the first breed to start hatching, try something more robust.

Comment

Oh dear- what a shame- after all that excitement too.

Good luck with the survivor. Glad you've managed to find him/her a friend to grow up with.

Are you still going to bring on another batch?...RH's advice is very sound- I'd find a different supplier.

Comment

Hi all again, despite your advice about finding another type of chicken, I still desided to try some more silkies, I had 6 eggs of which 2 was fertile which I wasn't too worried about as I know fertility drops this time of year. Well tomorrow is day 21 :-) . Tonight when I looked 1 of them has already made its first hole and can hear it chirping and the second in rolling about so hopefully tommorow they will be here. The 1 I managed to save from the first hatch is doing great. It's a right little character and gets on great with the friend I found for her. The friend I got for her must be about 6 weeks old now and by the looks of the head feathers I would say it was a male although I'm not 100% yet. Can't wait for these to hatch though. Exited much :-)

Comment

I really wish I had the space to hatch, looking forward to hearing how they get on!

Comment

Fingers crossed! Can't wait for the update later...
                            sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

There here! :-) Igor up this morning and 1 was already out and by the looks of it had Ben out quite a while as it was pretty dry. The other came about a hour ago.nthey both look healthy and seem to be doing ok. I just need to keep pulling myself away otherwise I know I will end up opening the inci.
                              Also I am gettin a 6x4 shed with a heat light in next week ready to move the older ones in, when do u recommend me putting the older ones in there?. As I said it will have atleast 1 if not 2 heat lights in there so it won't be too cold. They are in my living room as we speak and not and heat in there other that the temperature of the room and they are fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X