Fox Attack!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Attack!

I live in rural Northumberland and have been a happy hen owner for the past three years. My three girls lived a free-range life, only going into their hen house on an evening when I would close the pop hole.

That all changed three weeks ago, when a fox killed one of the hens. I had gotten home around 3pm to find a pile of feathers and a couple of wings lying on the ground and my other two girls were both hiding. I was absolutely distraught. I moved the hen house closer to my house, thinking that would help deter foxes, and bought a hen run to attach onto their coop so I could pop them into it when I went out.

On Sunday, at 1.30 in the afternoon my husband and I heard an almighty commotion outside and knew instantly what it was. We ran out of the house screaming and shouting and the fox dropped my hen and ran off. She had lost all of her tail feathers and was upset, but thank goodness she was okay. This happened outside the front of my house, mid-afternoon. I'm now petrified to let them free-range, and have confined them to their run (which is 11.5 square feet) which attaches to their house which has a 12.5 square feet run underneath it. My husband and I are going to build them a larger enclosure, to give them some more freedom, but I'm worried that in the meantime them being in the run without being able to free-range is harming them. Yesterday I even sat outside with them for 90 minutes so they could free-range and stretch their legs. Am I nuts????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No you're not nuts. You're looking after your hens in the best way you can meantime and you are going to improve things for them by giving them a larger secure enclosure.

Comment

That's awful Lorraine, but I'm glad your other 2 hens are OK . We use electric poultry netting for our's, which is (in theory anyway) quick and easy to put up, and flexible enough to move around when you want to. They're supposed to be the most efficient form of fox deterrent, but we've only had our's a year so I can't comment on that yet. In the meantime I'd be doing what you're doing - baby sitting while they enjoy foraging for a while .
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

What AP said,my 3 live in their run (3.5m x 5.5m made from Heras panels) unless I am in the garden,although there are foxes in the nearby woodland my main concern are the increasing number of buzzards in the area,hence why the run also has a steel mesh roof.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies - they are much appreciated. They are currently out of their run, as I can keep an eye on them when I'm mucking out my two horses. I'm now in the study which overlooks the back garden, so I can keep a watchful eye out. I've even put the radio on full blast in my polytunnel, hoping that may deter any foxes too!

How large an area should I ideally give, and how much electric poultry netting will I need? Amazon sell 50m for £92.50 or there is a 120cm x 50m one for £136. I need something which can be taken down as we may be moving home home in the new year.

Comment

I have ordered a 25m electric poultry netting kit from a company called R&T Poultry. It was £193.98 including postage which includes all of the leads and a gate. Should arrive tomorrow, so we can get it put up this weekend. My girls just have to stay safe for another few days...... I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

We have electric fencing. It needs to be a bit floppy when you put it up so that there is nothing for the fox to land on/push off from.

Best thing we did for our chooks, geese and bunnies.
              (esp as we sometimes hear foxes in the field behind.)

I was advised to leave it on all the time - even at night when they are locked away cos that's often when the foxes will check out the fencing
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for those tips, Nicos - will definitely use them.

Comment

Yup agree with everything Nickers said. I bought my kits from P&T Poultry, via the 'Bay and can't fault it. The bottom is all torn now, as I keep forgetting to move it, and the grass grows through it.

Mine are currently in a 'Heras' fence enclosure - 3 panels long by 2 panels wide, as I need to net over it to keep the pigeons and maggies out, as I can't afford to feed them too. Messers Robin and Sparrow come and go via the side bars, but I don't mind feeding them! I have my leccy fence outside the run, as Foxy can climb Heras panels and dig under them.
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine only free range when I am out there with my pitchfork although this electric netting sounds like a good idea. We have an Eglu and bought the extra runs at the same time. I know we have foxes in the wood behind and up the fields/copse at the side, but we have two terriers who I allow to patrol when hens are in. They are a damned nuisance so don't set me off on foxes
                    I too have watched the buzzards and other birds of prey circling overhead. I am entering that phase of life when I think I worry about everything - is it called paranoia?
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Electric fencing of some kind is probably the best solution and if you can use a 'plug in' unit, that's the best as the battery ones take a degree of maintenance in keeping the battery charged. A three or four strand fence using the nylon cord with a wire running through it is the best in our experience and it gives such a jolt that a fox won't attempt it more than once! Once the fox has experienced the shock once or twice, it will also keep well away from anything that looks like the fencing line, so you can even turn the power off if it's only the one fox in the neighbourhood.
                      Far better to fence OUT the foxes than fence IN the chooks!
                      Last edited by BertieFox; 21-11-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

We regularly have a pair of buzzards flying overhead. I like to think they're checking out the fields for voles/mice

I had a theory that they could 'sense' the electric field the fence gave off and would therefore keep off our banties.
                        hmmmm...not so sure now as we had a sparrowhawk fly straight into the pigsty ( chicken cook) to try and grab the sparrows nicking the chook feed.

Two cockerels (and the geese) seem to keep their eyes open on the skies though- so maybe we've just been lucky so far.

I'm actually getting a bit paranoid about the local stoat population. The cat has already killed and eaten one, but it was a baby- so there must be others about.
                        They are viscous hunters aren't they?
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sorry to hear about your experience with foxes.

I'm feeling a bit paranoid too, We haven't had any foxes around recently but I think that's because we have had no chooks, I'm pretty sure neither of the neighbours have either, so I think they just haven't been coming here. But I did see one crossing the road only a km away so it will only be a matter of time. The door on our coop is a bit dodgy at the bottom so I'd better think how to reinforce that.
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

electric fencing is the only way to deter them- and the kindest, they are but a wild animal seeking an easy meal. Which is why I have a large german shepherd who marks his territory everywhere and warns me of intrudors- 2 legged or 4!!

Comment

I agree - electric fencing is the only way to go. Saves alot of heartache.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X