X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet Ice - how to thaw??

Hi,

Can anyone offer any help..........

With all of the rain and now the drop in tempreture the gate way to the chickens area is sheet ice. I have tried but I can not cross it which means the poor girls have not been cleaned out

Any ideas how to defrost it, hot water will freeze again and there is too much water already. Cant use salt as they would eat it!

The forecast is to get worse too!

Help?

Mandy

What about some old carpet or rubber matting that you could spread over it to get a grip?

Comment

Can't you break it up with a garden fork, mattock or whatever?
      Rake all your fallen leaves over it?
      Both the above?
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Loads of sand if you can get hold of some. It might mean paying for a delivery from a builder's merchant but probably worth it as it should make the area a little less muddy if/when a thaw comes.

This is really such awful weather at the moment, I think every poultry keeper/smallholder/farmer in the country is struggling right now.

Comment

If you have an open fire in your house, the ashes are pretty good for making ice grippy.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I think i will cover with sand/bark tomorrow to help longer term, carpet shop tomorrow for an off cut short term......

Cant have the ladies in a dirty cold wet shed, think it is going to be a cold one again

Mandy x

Comment

Don't like the sounds of that! Must check with my friend whether her water feeders froze last winter - we have to go out and crack the dogs water in the morning in winter, so will be doing the chooks as well I guess.
              Best of luck with the carpet and sand.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

a bag of sharp sand from diy store was kept,tucked away by back door for the icy days,just a few handfuls strewn across the ice ...sorted..watching the chooks playing on the ice,hilarious,head bird would flap her way across,and the rest would follow,and thats after i cleared a path all the way round.if i got anymore i would probably name them after what they most remind me of,cameron,osbourne,gove alexander,is that an insult to chooks?...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X