Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erradicating red mite

Hi

Have just discovered red mite in my chicken house so have removed and burnt the straw and covered my chickens in red mite powder. My questionis what do I do next to my chicken house??

Thank you
    Lisa

It's the long spell of warm weather that has done it! You probably already know that red mite only comes out at night to feed on the hens before going back to bed in every nook and cranny they can find! Did you find the mites on the birds? If so they are probably lice rather than red mite.

I use Ficam W on my coops to get rid of/keep red mite away. It is nasty stuff but has a residual effect and really works! You don't spray the birds so there is no need to withdraw eggs. Spray every nook and cranny you can as early on a warm day as you can. The birds can be let back in as soon as the walls etc are not obviously wet. You will need to do the roof as well. Have you got felt on your roofs? They like to hide under that!

I have tried all sorts of things, including the organic way, but found that I just could not get on top of them at all. I have had nothing since last Sept. when I sprayed the house - I checked last week oddly enough - run a piece of kitchen towel under your perches if it comes off red, then you have red mite!

Comment

Poultry shield used in conjunction with diatom work well. They are both pretty harmless products that I would not be afraid of using with the children around.
      Spray the house thoroughly with the poultry shield and then once it hase dried sprinkle a residue of diatom in the corners and floor of the house and nest box and perch holders and then give the birds a dusting too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X