No announcement yet.

Dog attack

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you find them! I looked long and hard for Eloïse that time before finding her much closer to home, with her head poking out of my knot garden box hedge. Clever old girl :>
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Really sorry to read your post RH I hope you manage to find those missing birds.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

So sorry

Comment

what a shock,sorry to hear hear,and hope you can get some sort of recompence from the owners,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Farmers round here use guns for dogs like that...
            Last edited by Madasafish; 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Ah you poor thing Really awful
              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Poor hens, so sorry. Hope you find some of this missing ones.

Comment

How horrible for you and your hens. I was upset when a crow took two of our goldfish so I can't imagine how you must be feeling after the events you have described.

Comment

I know how you feel (honestly). I was so mad, I could have literally got rid of the dog that killed my lot. In the end I realised it was the owners fault, for not securing his dog properly - I'd report it to the dog warden too, we did - although they can't do anything about it first time around - a second incident they can act upon and remove the dog(s) from the owners care -- obviously that is, if you find out who owns them.

I hope the others pull through for you. I bet the other lot are spooked too.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                      Thanks peeps. Dogs had collars on and my gut feeling is someone was walking them nearby (our property is bordered on two sides by public footpaths/bridleways) and either lost control or saw what was happening and got them away quickly. Police came promptly when called and have surveyed carnage and agreed with me it's horrible and have the dog van out searching for the dogs but can't promise they will find them. Chicken killing by dogs is apparently not a criminal offence and the most I can hope for is that the dogs are found and the owner is identified which means I can press for compensation either through the courts or outside.
                      Ah, just read this - I was told the same thing. I got compensation for my lot, but they were show birds after all... However, if these lot are you lively hood, I'd push for as much as possible - work out the profit you'd make out of them over their laying lives and push hard.

Comment

Check on practical poultry RH- there is a long thread on there- but I do believe you can legally shoot them - and will have to if they return on your land to attack livestock. (By the way for the person about to pounce on me for voicing my opinion- this is called 'rule the roost' - not 'rule the dog' lol!!!!
                        We lost buff orpingtons, silkies and light sussex to a terrier attack 2 years ago- all that hard work and you get so fond of them. fox attack - I blame myself, dog attack and the owners are twits and if they can't keep them under control - what else can you do?
                        I hope the police find the culprits - whats to stop them ripping a kid up next time?.

Comment

So sorry to hear this
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                            Check on practical poultry RH- there is a long thread on there- but I do believe you can legally shoot them - and will have to if they return on your land to attack livestock. (By the way for the person about to pounce on me for voicing my opinion- this is called 'rule the roost' - not 'rule the dog' lol!!!!
                            We lost buff orpingtons, silkies and light sussex to a terrier attack 2 years ago- all that hard work and you get so fond of them. fox attack - I blame myself, dog attack and the owners are twits and if they can't keep them under control - what else can you do?
                            I hope the police find the culprits - whats to stop them ripping a kid up next time?.
                            As a dog owner I agree. I watch the idiots behind me walking dogs off leash through a working farm. It beggars belief and they are the ones who should be shot!
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thanks for all your comments and support. Update is I found two more bodies so left with just one hen still missing (presumed dead). The hen in shock died but the traumatised cock despite being minus his tail did come out of the house for some corn so I think he will be ok. TBH it could have been a lot worse given the amount of birds here.

Have had a tip off about the dogs as to where they might have come from so will be doing a bit of detective work over the next few days.

Comment

Oh I'm so sorry, what an awful thing to happen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X