No announcement yet.

Dog attack

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering what you could do to work out who they are. Are they light coloured dogs? Just thinking if you could get one of those big water guns, and put some food colouring in the water, you might at least be able to squirt them, and then they could be identified later.

You won't be able to rest at all now. Make sure you let the police know again. Yours mightn't be the only chooks they are after.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Agree with feral, get the police and the local dog-warden involved. And also perhaps an article in the local rag?

Comment

They must be local. Perhaps along with the local rag you could get some posters up in village hall/shops with descriptions of the dogs and what they have done.

Comment

Next Village?

Can you call in at any local vets and ask if they can ID them? Of course- they may not belong to the same owner.

Well done at scaring them off-...but that's not really the point is it?
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
            Guess what? Bloomin' dogs came back again on Monday! Fortunately I got to the chooks before they did although they had frightened a leghorn hen so badly she had crashed into a fence post and injured her face. No lasting damage though thank goodness. No sign of owners again, and they belted away across the fields towards the next village, a good mile away. I was desperate to see where they went but just couldn't keep up. Suspect they may have escaped from somewhere. Nothing I can do, but so frustrating. Am on constant dog watch now.
            I knew they'd come back, if they could. They'll try it again too. You need to entice them with something they can smell and get close enough to grab a collar, assuming they have one on. They have got to be local. Do they look well fed or under?
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              I knew they'd come back, if they could. They'll try it again too. You need to entice them with something they can smell and get close enough to grab a collar, assuming they have one on. They have got to be local. Do they look well fed or under?
              I would be very weary of them,especially as they may smell chooks on you,twould be horrendouse if they attacted you or anyone else,
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                I would be very weary of them,especially as they may smell chooks on you,twould be horrendouse if they attacted you or anyone else,
                If they were going to keep coming back to rip open my chooks, I would be getting hold of them.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

sorry to hear what has happened. This is such an example of irresponsible dog ownership. They should have never been off their leads. I do hope they are reprimanded...in some way at least. I hope the birds you have left recover for you.

Comment

The survivors of the original attack all recovered well, the cock has grown his tail back now. The leghorn injured the second time is also fine. I would not attempt to tackle these dogs though. Having got a closer look second time around they do look rather nasty and I wouldn't want to risk getting bitten. The Police have told me there is nothing they can do unless we can identify the owner of the dogs so I have just got to keep watching. I have moved all the loose birds to a different field not next to a public footpath to minimise risk but not sure if that will help or not. I don't want to have to shut them all up, they would get terribly stressed and frustrated. They are a mixture of different sorts of bantams, mainly older ones although I have three youngsters in there too, and four cocks. Some of the cocks would have to go if I penned them as they would start to fight once confined. With the space and freedom of a field they all get along fine.

Comment

Really annoying that you have to worry about your chooks on your own land. I'm feeling a bit the same way. I'm mostly putting the small dog out on one of the other dogs leads, so he can't get under the fences,and I'm even thinking of putting the electric back on the top wire in case the big dogs get over excited when the battie's come up near the fence (sigh) but that's my dogs. If anyone else's start roaming then my chooks are 'sitting ducks' so to speak. Saying sorry afterwards won't help.

Neighbours girlfriend has moved in with a boxer dog, haven't seen it but can't help worrying.
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Dogs are a wretched nuisance, and so are cats. I have so many around me now, chasing the hens, crapping in my veg patch, its a real nuisance. I set the dogs on them if I catch them in the garden which I hope will deter them but I fear not. Sigh.

Comment

setting dogs on any animal is as irresponsible as allowing them to wander about without supervision in fact it is worse because if out without supervision, they will think it is acceptable to attack anything in sight.

Comment

Only getting to read this now... Terrible story RH..
                            Hope you can identify dogs or owners...
                            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X