Dogs and chooks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs and chooks

For those of you with both how do you teach your dogs to leave the chooks alone.

I really want my chooks to free range...........but not because a small fluffy dog has chased them through a few paddocks.

Our kelpie's are australian working dogs and they have been bred to chase things - animals, balls, sticks.
    We have a large houseyard with ringlock wire and shadecloth stapled to it. The dogs can see thru it, but it let's the other animals come close to the fence without it being apparent all the time. There's an electric wire on the top to stop them wanting to jump over, and neither are diggers. The electric is rarely on it's just that they know that you don't touch white tape. The dogs are always on long leads when we're not home. Because if they get out they could go on other properties, people will shoot any dogs they see on their property.

When we're home it's not an issue. The dogs bark if they see anything run to the fence, put their pawsup and look over. But stay where they are.
    The birds and the horses tease them.

It's the little dog who is a problem. It's a very large fence and frankly I'm not digging chicken wire into the ground all around the yard to stop him getting out. Then I'd also have to do something at the three gateways as well. He manages to wriggle out under the fence in several places. I'm planning to make him a secure lead run as well. But it is the times when he slips between your feet as you're coming into the house, that is the real problem.

Is there any good way to stop a dog chasing after he starts. He's quite a stubborn little thing. He may have come from the city, but when he saw a cow the first time, half a paddock away, he went ballistic and barked up a storm. He's got that little dog syndrome where the bigger the other animal the more he wants to be boss of it.

I've promised Frank that I'm going to fix this little dog for him! And I like to be true to my word. Frank's idea of how to fix him might be a little different.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

go back to basic training of 'leave it' with toys- rewards when he does as you say.
    our german shepherd learnt not to chase poultry by running into an electric fence.....

Comment

This dog is very stubborn and he doesn't really care about treats when there's something like that around. And unfortunately he's immune to electric because of all his fur.
      You can be outside with him for ages, and he doesn't go anywhere and then he slides off when you're busy with something and it's all on again.
      Can't help hoping for a magic wand (or someone who falls in love with him and wants to take him home).
      Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Could you afford to take him to a trainer? If he is that stubborn then it might be worth it, you could get a different dog back! If not maybe teach him who is boss by making him wait for his supper until he sits etc

Comment

Is the "little thing" a terrier or kelpie? They are a herding dog aren't they? Also if female, they have a heightened sense of prey. Our Tansy went mad for pigeons and I could never mix ours with the chooks. We have a WIR now and when the girls are free ranging, the dog is in. When they are in - Rooty is out. I have been tape training him and chopped up hot dog meat (what meat) is a great reward. It's working to a degree. I give him enough tape to go up to the WIR, but not chase around it and keep recalling him when he gets excited.
          Upon letting him off, he will run around the WIR and I distract him again with hot dogs. The last few times I've gardened up near the run he's walked straight past them and sat on the garden bench whilst I've dug.
          Perseverance and patience really. Dog training classes near to you? Job for the kids?
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

No, he's not a kelpie. The kelpie and the kelpie cross stay in the yard because no way would they look at a hot dog if there was a bird moving. The rosella's tease them anyway by flying low and fast over their heads - cheeky things. But at least they do stay in the yard.

This is a maltese something cross. A male. But he's about 5 now I think, and I don't know if he's ever seen chooks before, because the previous owners didn't have them, but they got him from someone else. The first time he saw a cow he was off his face barking, and he has chased the horses a few times, but they can run away.
            I was not expecting him to be this annoying when we took him in. He's a bit of a spoilt brat and I much prefer the bigger dogs. I know I could get him to come for food etc, but it's when you turn your back that he's off and he seems to know when you get caught up digging holes or moving hoses.

I can't put an electric down low because the weeds grow and zap it out, and he's insulated by his coat, so would only get zapped if he touched it with his nose, and it would be a huge hassle at the gate, it's already booby trapped with wire and wood. I frequently trip over all the stuff inthe gateway and curse him.
            Don't think I'm up for a dog trainer, not that there are many round here. But expensive, and ditto the classes, they are mainly puppy classes, and expensive and I don't feel like going back into town after I've been to work and come home.
            He's been on his new lead this afternoon and not happy. The other dogs pottering around and lying down watching me garden, but he can't follow me round, because he's not trustworthy.
            I'm sure he'll survive, but it's very annoying. Remind me not to take on anyone's dog again will you?
            Ali

Comment

What is he like on the lead? Can you walk him amongst the chooks and give him a yank whenever he makes a lunge at them?
              My previous dogs have been wimps with chooks. The last dog was found cowering in the corner of their run, surrounded by angry chooks, pecking at him. He kept away from them after that!

Comment

Well one of the Tic Tacs put its feathers up at me this evening, so that would be the one to walk him past! I don't really want to encourage him to go out into the paddocks, and of course the chooks are terrified of him and will run squawking into the chook forest (which they have remade into the chook tunnels now )

Really need a remote that frightens him when he goes near them....I'd still need to watch him tho, until he got too frightened to go there.
                Ali

Comment

you can get collars which give them shocks when they go past a certain point. A friend got one to stop their dog going on the road, and it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                    how do you teach your dogs to leave the chooks alone.
                    You have to start with a dog that doesn't have a strong prey drive. Terriers usually have a very strong prey drive and will chase, and kill, anything that moves. You can't deny a dog's basic nature, and breeding.

The reason we chose a Frenchie was because we have guinea pigs and free-ranging parrots: we needed a dog that could be trained not to chase the other pets. Frenchies are companion dogs, they've been selectively bred for passivity. I still wouldn't trust her though: she did snap at the parrot who was nicking her Xmas dinner
                    Attached Files
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Have you thought of a basket muzzle? At least if he got to the birds the worst he could do is chase..

My 2 go nowhere near the birds. They would decimate the entire flock of 30+ in minutes....

The only thing I'd say about shock collars (without getting on my soapbox) is that I think they are a disgusting tool to use on any animal and can cause untold mental issues if used....

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                        Have you thought of a basket muzzle? At least if he got to the birds the worst he could do is chase..

My 2 go nowhere near the birds. They would decimate the entire flock of 30+ in minutes....

The only thing I'd say about shock collars (without getting on my soapbox) is that I think they are a disgusting tool to use on any animal and can cause untold mental issues if used....
                        You have to be careful too about epilepsy in dogs - not thought of that before now.

TwoSheds is bang on about the terrier nature. I'd never ever trust mine to mingle but you can train them to recall and leave. Having said that if a girl then their prey drive is heightened. But yours is a boy so it's sport!
                        Paloma set Rooty today and jabbed her beak through the mesh at him. He sat down and stared her out but didn't dare go near again.
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Tether the little s*d.

I have leccy fence round mine, as my idiot would chase them. They feel safe with the fence, and ignore him, even when he 'boings' and woofs at them. If one gets out, he will chase it, but he is actually scared of them. Even more since I held one up for him to sniff, and she pecked his nose!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Our dog killed a chicken of ours when it was shocked after the dog played with it. Disgusting I know, we put the dead chicken in its kennel for 48 hours, never did the dog go near the chickens again, it must be traumatised!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X