Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken fence or cage

Hi,

I have a medium sized back garden with three large orpingtons. They have a smallish run but good secure coop (see attachment) and I seal them in every night and let them out in morning.

Because of the smallish run I have been letting them free range in the garden, except in the worst weather. Unfortunately, I did not realise that they would spend so much time on the patio or the scale of poo they could produce.

I want to make a nice lawn and build three raised beds this Spring (if it ever comes) and so I need to enclose the dhickens in a corner of he garden most of the time. They will have a decent area to play in (few square meter) and I will let them free range when I am around.

So this is where I would appreciate any advice - before I waste too much cash!

Firstly, the corner I was going to put them in was concreted over as was a shed there. A friend suggested that instead of putting down a covering to get some cheap rolls of grass turf and put that down. Means that when dies, can lift give a really good clean and antiseptic and replace. Figure could make great compost from what discarded. Is there anything I am not aware off which would make his a bad idea? Seems cheap, clean and straghtforward?

Secondly, how to keep them in new space. My misses has offered to treat the chickens (me) to a harrods chicken cage (I used to get jumpers as presents now I get stuff for veggies or chicks) but I worry as hoping to put a greenhouse just in front (north) of it in a south facing garden. Therefore worry about shading. I have seen omlet do a nice chicken fence which should prevent that and also gives me the option of moving it around if need arises. Not too worried about hem flying over as hey quite big and well, lazy. So keen on this as being more flexible. However, I plan on leaving them out in it all day, alone when I am at work. I will still enclose them every night. So concern is foxes will get to them?

I can't make up my mind on this or find another way to arrange garden so would appreciate any views people have.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Caldan View Post
    the corner I was going to put them in was concreted over as was a shed there. A friend suggested that instead of putting down a covering to get some cheap rolls of grass turf and put that down. Means that when dies, can lift give a really good clean and antiseptic and replace.
    I don't really understand what you're saying. Is it concrete now?

Are you planning to lay a lawn, and then dig it up? Why?

Lawns are cheapest from seed, not from turf

Chickens will demolish any lawn you put them on, whatever it's made of. They need to be moved around frequently if you're to avoid a mud-bath
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well, ideally you'd be able to rest the ground that they've been on - and apply lime to it. They need to be kept off it though if limed.

They'll go through a small section of grass in a matter of weeks, at most - mine stripped my lawn bare - whilst not the largest area, they ruined it in a couple of weeks. Mind you, when it did grow back it was a lush green They do poo everywhere, so if you want to keep the flies etc down, it's a good idea to poo pick. I have mine in a separate garden now, which they can muck up to their hearts content (and believe you me, they do).

A fence would look nicer - but they'll be able to fly up on top of it if they want to. Mine fly up and perch on top of a 6' fence at times, and fly up to a 10' wall to have a nose into the back garden if they hear me in there. Clipping their wings will help reduce the lift they can get - but for a nice looking 4' fence, I'd say you either need to run a floppy wire along the top, so they can't get a secure perching area, or make it taller - but then you may as well go for a cage style fence panel (make them?) - so you can at least enjoy their view.

Comment

Sorry, no the suggestion was to keep concrete and put turf on it and then replace when grass worn out. You can get turf cheaper than most of the other coverings that seem to be advertised I.e. wood chip, bark etc etc. especially as it does not need to be the best quality stock.

I was going to get a wire fence as told that if no where to perch on top less chance of them flying up?

Comment

Um, turf won't survive on top of concrete.

Or have I got the wrong end of the twig?

Comment

No, I had concerns too. My friend assured me that if watered it would last a couple of months?

Comment

So concern is foxes will get to them?
              Yes.

My brother lost all his hens to a fox. They live in an urban area, and his garden is completely surrounded by other gardens, and 6ft fences, and tarmacked roads (no fields, no woods). None of his neighbours even knew he had hens, but the fox did. Killed the lot one day (broad daylight)

Comment

My friend assured me that if watered it would last a couple of months?
                It wouldn't even last a couple of days. How are the roots to get water, if they have no soil?
                They don't drink through their leaves

Comment

Wood chips on your concrete would work. They can be raked over and added to and then removed after 3/6 months. You could then clean off your concrete and start again. As you are going to let them free range when your home they would still have access to grass.

Comment

Foxes will come in the day. Have you looked at the electric fences that are available - you can move them around and leave them in it all day without worrying

Comment

Mmm, thanks for advice, am I naive in thinking that as they are large orpingtons they are less likely to attract foxes? Seems a cage may be a better idea. I will have to think again about greenhouse if do that tho...

And thanks on turf, I said that and was assured I was wrong. I would like to keep concrete and put something on I can replace (for cleanliness) which is compostable. Any ideas?

Comment

Oh and scarlet, sorry my concern with an electric fence is I have a toddler who would be playing in garden. But I guess I could turn it off when he around? Mmmmm, that's seems a better idea - I will google!

P.s. does it not hurt the chickens?

Comment

am I naive in thinking that as they are large orpingtons they are less likely to attract foxes?

hahahahahahaha

Big, fat, lazy Orps that can't fly ... foxy's dream dinner companion
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-03-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

right thanks for all advice. I am gonna look into wood chips on concrete with an electric fence for foxes.

Thanks for all the help.

J

Comment

Why do you want to cover the concrete?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X