No announcement yet.

Chicken fence or cage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had Chickens when my kids were toddlers and its a bit like teaching the kids that fire hurts! They never touched it. The electric comes in pulses and doesn't hurt the chickens. my dog stuck his nose on it once but he doesnt go near it now. You can always turn it off when the kids are in the garden. In no time at all they will go and turn it off themselves!
    I wouldn't worry about Orps flying- As TS has said they are fat, lazy b@@gers and aren't likely to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Why do you want to cover the concrete?
      It gives them something to scratch in and soak up the poo. It would stink in no time otherwise. Poo picking is easy on wood chips too. Much less mess
      Last edited by Scarlet; 27-03-2013, 08:08 AM.

Comment

"Secondly, how to keep them in new space. My misses has offered to treat the chickens (me) to a harrods chicken cage (I used to get jumpers as presents now I get stuff for veggies or chicks) but I worry as hoping to put a greenhouse just in front (north) of it in a south facing garden. Therefore worry about shading."

Sorry, don't get you. What are you worried about being shaded, the chickens or the greenhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Poo picking is easy on wood chips too. Much less mess
          OK, that makes sense. Poopy concrete would be slimy & slippery & stinky.

Our allotment site used to get free deliveries of chippings from the local groundsmen: it saved them having to drive back to the tip every time the lorry was full.

It'd be worth asking around, see if you can get a free supply, Caldan
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-03-2013, 08:13 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would have thought they would have wanted something to forage in and concrete would be a bit boring on its own?

And it seems as electric fences are low would still need a fence to keep them from escaping. Seems expensive. Why can't the chickens just stay where I say and the foxes focus on he rabbits!

These decisions are never as simple as I hope they are going to be!!!

Comment

The greenhouse being shaded is my concern

Comment

Originally posted by Caldan View Post
                The greenhouse being shaded is my concern
                But a chicken cage isn't solid so won't cast much shade.

Comment

The electric fence is floppy, very unlikely that a chicken will fly over. They usually fly up on a perch and then fly back down. I've fenced mine in with an electric fence for over 10 years and only occasionally get an escapee. A lovely silver Sussex cockerel that usually uses a tree as a head start. Fat Orps don't fly much- or would need a good run up at least!
                  Get yourself a book. There's a good one by Katie Thear. I'm on my phone and I can't remember the title but its well worth a read.

Comment

My chooks lived in a shed with an outside covered run and access to the garden when I was at home.
                    Into the covered area I put straw, wood chip, grass cuttings, weeds, in fact anything I could lay my hands on. It was my compost bin!! After a few months, the chooks would have turned it all into wonderful compost - then I'd clear it out, use it on the garden and start all over again.
                    You could do that on your concrete area.

Comment

Thanks scarlet, what height is your elec fence. Weighing it up fox concerns are a much bigger concern than escapees. And I do have particularly lazy chickens!

Veggie chicken - like idea of getting the extra compost done and somewhere to put grass cuttings etc. like the idea of doing it that way.

Thanks again for advice, have read a few books and all seems straightforward until I have to make a decision on something

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                        But a chicken cage isn't solid so won't cast much shade.
                        I would have thought that even though wire mesh it would still impact on total amount of light that reached greenhouse? Also would be double from side and roof.

Do you not think that would be an issue even if very close together?

Comment

About 3foot high. I think you will find them at a reasonable price from a good agricultural store rather than a poultry outfit.
                          Electric fence was the obvious choice for me although you have to decide what would be best for your set up. I know loads of chicken keepers and we all have different housing/ fencing enclosures. Ultimately its your choice.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Love that pic Scarlet. A lesson in how to keep veg safe from chooks, and chooks safe from fox.

Comment

Caldan, as others have said, Orps don't fly much. Mine stay within a fenced area similar to the one in Scarlet's pic quite happily.

Re run flooring I would go for woodchip if you can, chooks like to scratch about in something.

Comment

My run is made of her@s panels approx 3metres x 6metres x 2metres (high),as there are several pairs of buzzards in the nearby woodland (about 10 metres away) it also has a "mesh roof",as it is not overly mobile I dug out half (6m x 1.5m) to a depth of 250mm & filled that side with wood chippings,I have not yet seen them pacing the run out of boredom ,they dig about in the chippings looking for grubs,bugs & then have a "dustbath" in the resulting hole.
                                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X