Chicken fence or cage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caldan View Post
    I would have thought that even though wire mesh it would still impact on total amount of light that reached greenhouse? Also would be double from side and roof.

Do you not think that would be an issue even if very close together?
    No, not a problem. It's not close-woven mesh. During the summer (if we ever get any) you will probably be looking to shade your greenhouse anyway otherwise everything in it will cook.

Comment

Thanks for this, and i am how quite happy with options for covering concrete. No more turf but think will put wood chips where they eat and rest but add a good proportion of comestibles in the 'play' area. Should be a good mix and keep them happy.

The fence no longer seems sensible, but good to know cage would be a possibility if i wanted to. However, like idea of elec fence as less noticeable and when we are in garden can just turn off. Another benefit seems to be it would be easier to move around I.e. put them ovr certain parts of garden if i want hem to clean/destroy i etc etc some days,

I jut read th horrific story about the dogs that mauled Richmonds chickens and so even more paranoid now. So sorry you have had to o through that, must have been terrible,

Now I need to work out how to do use an elec fence without ending up wih fried chickens!

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by Caldan View Post
        I would have thought that even though wire mesh it would still impact on total amount of light that reached greenhouse?
        Didn't you say the coop would be south of the greenhouse? If so, it won't cast shade. The general rule is: put the tall stuff on the north (shady) end of a garden
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The coop would be south of the greenhouse yes, so feeling better about shade. And back to cage as favoured option as like an idiot forget to mention space is in a corner with trees all round. Think a fox could jump in from the lower branches if tried.

Apologies, feel have given everyone a bit of a runaround

Comment

You say the space is a corner of your garden. Is the garden fenced? Could you draw a simple plan of the area and post on here?

Comment

Sorry not sure how to do a diagram?

But basically southern facing backyard. Back corner (west), I am putting up new fencing (just trad look) on long side. Back backs onto neighbour which is high hedge type plant. On easy of space large conifer (mine) on other side large, very tall more Nordic conifer.

On floor all concreted on my side, on east side raised rockery with trees on it with four quite large trees,

Mmmmmm, that probably doesn't paint a picture

Comment

Maybe take a photo tomorrow?

Comment

Or draw your plan and photograph that?

Comment

Will post a photo in morning, never thought of that

Comment

My diagram would be terrible

Comment

Couldn't be worse than your description

Comment

With photos!

Right, hopefully you can see the photos. Where is ugly wire fence at mo (where neighbour stacks off shoots) that will be covered (this weekend I hope) by adding a couple more fence panels.

Plants at back which are hanging over from neighbour also need a severe prune to tidy (and allow me to keep chickens right at back to maximise use of space),

Think having in this back corner should also give some shade from wind and sun which chickens should like?

Not sure if can mention brands (shhhhh,....look at top of page but basically now thinking will get as long a poultry walk in cage as I can and fit plush with back and then put a small (6 by 4/6) greenhouse in front of it?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ah, that's better. What I was thinking (unless you particularly want to pay for a branded chicken cage) might work then.

If you have secure fencing on two sides of the corner area, you could make your own cage. Fence posts along the long open side of the concrete and chicken wire fencing. The expensive site you mentioned earlier do a heavy duty version if you look on their website.

Comment

Rustylady, i had thought of that and to be honest it is not that high a saving to just buy the bits (inc heavy duty wire) as buying the premade one, esp as it comes with gate. I guess it is weighing up the saving and being able to fit bespoke to the area and so maximise the space. But it is also partly playing on my mind that mt DIY skills are still 'evolving,

I think I will put up fence panels and get area all cleaned and prepared before making a final decision. I don't mind the initial outlay as think will be a big benefit to garden, just don't want to spend the cash and then regret what I have done as cant afford to the change my mind!

Thanks for the help and advice

Comment

i had thought of that and to be honest it is not that high a saving to just buy the bits (inc heavy duty wire) as buying the premade one, esp as it comes with gate

Take the above back, just measured area and the starting price I had been looking at and price for cage I actually need are a lot different. Think I will try out my DIY skills after all. Like you say one side is fenced and so really just need to do others. Also, as concrete down real easy to pu in posts!

Right, start the planning again lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X