No announcement yet.

Chicken died - myco or something else?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken died - myco or something else?

Hi. One of my chickens died last night. Her behaviour had changed slightly over the last couple of days - coming to find me periodically and hanging around in the porch, a bit unusual for her but not extraordinary in itself. However, I'm now convinced she was trying to tell me something was wrong, and needless to say I feel really bad for not spotting it in time... She's been out and about with the others, if a bit quieter than usual. A bit fluffed up, but it's been cold and they've all been fluffed up. Tail up, not hunched. No sign of any excretions of any sort from any orifice as far as I could see. Until last night when she just stopped on the pathway into their run at bedtime, and stood there. When I went to chivvy her along, she was panting for breath with her tongue popping in and out, and her breathing was really wet sounding. She kept sneezing really vigorously, much worse than I've ever seen any of the others sneezing. I gave her some anti-biotic and isolated her, but she was obviously not going to last the night, and was dead this morning. It all just seemed to happen so suddenly, and yet she must have felt 'off' beforehand. Does this sound like myco? It's not how it's behaved in other birds previously... Should I be dosing the others with anti-biotic now, to be on the safe side? Is there anything else I should be doing? Just out of interest, how do you dispose of dead birds? We've only had one before, and OH put it in the farmer's ditch for the foxes to find...
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Sorry to hear it Kathy, Unfortunately it does sound like myco, or certainly a respiratory illness of some sort eg infectious bronchitis - do any of your hens lay weird wrinkly shaped eggs? Dosing the others is not necessary unless they are also showing symptoms of respiratory distress. Chances are all (or most of) your birds are carriers so this is something you may have to expect from time to time.

As for disposal, don't know what the regulations are in France. Double bag and bin is a common method over here. You can also burn them. I wouldn't leave them around for the fox though, that's like putting out an advert to say "look come over here and sample our lovely chickens, there's plenty more like this one ........"
    Last edited by RichmondHens; 08-04-2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

The one who died laid wrinkly eggs quite often, yes. And/or very elongated. And her friend who came from the same place at the same time frequently lays with very thin / no shells. And the other one who came with them is the big marran who suffers from chest infections 2 or 3 times a year. They were sold as 'organic', so whether this means they had the infection and weren't treated for it, I don't know. But I'm sure you're right RH - all my birds will be carriers, and I do expect outbreaks. I just haven't seen it so sudden or so bad before, I've dosed them and they've recovered .

Comment

Sorry to hear that kathy.
        We have disposed of our chooks double wrapped and in the bin for a tour of the French countryside

Have to say though- I don't know anyone with chooks over here who have had them vaccinated. Mine aren't either.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

So bins in future then, thanks for the advice . I'm sure you're right Nicos, I don't suppose I'd have mine done either if I had chicks - apparently vaccinations are only available in quantities of 500 or something anyway? Or did I dream that one? Anyhow, I guess I'm just upset because I hate to see things suffer, and poor old Custard must have been scared out of her mind when she couldn't breathe properly, and you feel so helpless don't you, when you know there's nothing you can do for them? It's easy to look for someone to blame. Anyway, much as I love my chooks and they're pets more than anything, I don't have the same level of emotional attachment to them as I do to the dogs (and even the cats, on a good day..). but I guess I'll just have to become tougher if I'm going to carry on keeping them. Thx for your help both of you .

Comment

vaccine runs out after 72 weeks, so the vet told me -we have many chickens and a 'closed flock' - I cull anything suspicious instantly- tough but I haven't had to do so for a very long time - the fittest survive. Sorry you lost your bird - it sounds like her system was weakened before you got her (poss by infectious bronchitus, hence wrinkly eggs) so don't blame yourself for her demise.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X