No announcement yet.

Greedy chickens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything is worth a try, I will hang it (presently on a breeze block) in the outside lean-to and see what happens
    82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Beneath the feeder I have a gravel tray with a louvre door resting on it. Any pellets that are spilled fall through the louvres and I can empty the tray back into the feeder. Stops any loose food lying around to attract vermin.

Comment

With 17 hens I don't have much waste, if there is any when they finish off the feeder any spillage is hoovered up.

Comment

I have quite a bit of waste as they throw it everywhere!! 5 hens and a sack of 25kgs lasts just under 2 months depending on what else i am feeding them.
          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Ants also steal quite a lot of mine, you can actually see them marching off with it.
            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

So your birds are eating nearly 6oz each per day plus extra maize. Two and a half pounds per week+ per bird.
              Too much, I'd say, (unless they are a really big breed), for this time of year when they are going off lay anyway. You don't need them fat for winter if you are feeding every day, it's not like they will starve, they will just get fat and lazy (and so still fatter), and overweight hens may have problems laying.

On the other hand, if they are in a small enclosed run with no access to anywhere they can scratch around and occupy themselves, having food to peck at all day long may distract the bullies,(and there is always at least one, I found) from picking on the junior birds.

Try cutting their total feed down to about 4oz per bird per day, that's about 13.5kg a week, and see how they do on it. If they've learned to be greedy, you may find one or two don't get their fair share so keep an eye out for any that seem to be losing weight or particularly hungry.

And as everyone else has said, check carefully for vermin. Just 'cos you haven't seen a rat doesn't mean there are not 50 or so all feasting on your feed when you are not there.

And if you can, don't leave feed open at night, pick it up or use a self-closing treadle type feeder. The hens won't eat in the dark.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Well, I have moved the feeder into the coop and hung it about 8 inches off the ground and consumption has gone done considerablely, the coop door is open all day so they can come and go as they please and feed at will.

Hopefully what ever was eating it wont venture in the coop
                Last edited by janzbro; 15-11-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X