Chicken questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken questions

I live in a farmhouse in Spain near Granada, we have 3 cats and I want to expand!!!

We are toying with the idea of getting some chickens, but we would have to keep them in some sort of a pen because I don't want my veggie patch ruined!! This could be quite difficult because of all the trees on the land which the chickens could get into and escape!!!!

Another problem is foxes which are a big problem for chicken keepers in this area! foxes have been know to kill in broad daylight! Someone told me that if you keep a pig in with your chickens, the foxes won't come near! is this true? I've always fancied getting a pot bellied pig so this could be the answer!!

We also have rats that live in our knarled old olive trees, could this also be a problem

A pen for the hens, if large enough is no problem. You would need to build it at least 6' high with a full roof and/or an additional outward angled 'jump barrier' - the barrier would only work if there are no trees which the foxes can climb and jump from. Yes, foxes can climb!

In addition to the roof you would need to either bury the wire sides at least 2' deep or put a 1' skirt around the pen, made of the same wire mesh and pegged to the ground to stop the foxes digging.

It's a lot of work, but better than coming home to find a pile of feathers....

I have no idea about the pig theory - sounds good but I don't think my OH will agree.

Rats could be a problem, you will need to store all the hens food in metal drum containers or the rats could chew their way in. lso they will break into the run and may steal eggs. The best thing would be to get rid of them somehow. Could your cats not help?
    Last edited by TPeers; 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM.
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Cheers! great advice there!! Gone off the idea of a pot bellied pig, they like eggs too! enough to cope with the foxes and the rats! I'm afraid only one out the three cats will make an effort with the rats! the other two act like princesses!!!!

Comment

Apparently alpacas are good at detering foxes. Probably easier to look after (although they do need shearing), but they don't enjoy being on their own - so you'd need 2 or three. The menagerie grows ....

Comment

Geese are also supposed to see off foxes - you would need a pond for them, or some other regular water source.

Geese are supposed to make excellent guards for the house as well - and they lay eggs!

I would think that you might still need the full pen - if only to protect the fox!
          Last edited by TPeers; 13-09-2007, 02:12 PM.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Guinea fowl also make very good, but noisy, guards! I think you'd still be better off with a good sturdy fence with no gaps in. Rats can be a problem with chooks, they eat eggs and chicks and might even have a go at the girls if they're hungry enough. Can you put traps/poison down?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

We have a gander, very load mouther, when the fox came he didn't make a noise let it kill a duck and 3 bantams.
              Caroline

http://goodlifeallotment.blogspot.com

Comment

You could try a moveable Ark, that way if you move it every day the fox gets confused and with luck the Chooks should be safe.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I'll open a farm while I'm at it! :

Decided to have a house in the middle and two covered runs either side. Found a perfect space we can squeeze this into between the trees. To stop the foxes we are going to get a digger to go 2 breeze blocks down and put paving blocks round to stop the foxes. I'm really looking forward to this!! Thanks sooooo much for all your replies. Can I be cheeky and say If you think of anything else let me know! take pity on this newbie chook keeper!

Comment

Originally posted by Tensing View Post
                    We have a gander, very load mouther, when the fox came he didn't make a noise let it kill a duck and 3 bantams.
                    Your Gander aint so daft! If he hadn't kept mum he would have become the Foxes takeaway meal for the night!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X