Sweet Peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    Very excited to see the first signs of sweet pea shoots coming through. I planted them in my unheated greenhouse some weeks ago. Am a complete novice at non-edibles so will probably need some advice once they grow a bit.
    Congratulations - growing plants from seed is always brilliant and inspiring.

a few tips :- pinch out the top of the plants when they are about 6" high to encourage them to make side-shoots - get the plants in the ground as soon as they seem a reasonable size, they like somewhere sunny where the ground doesn't dry out too much - pick the flowers regularly even if you don't want them, when they go to seed the flowering stops.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B74405E4-B814-4BB7-8337-9935ABC7D5EB.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	2382984They seem to be doing ok. Take it they are not quite big enough to pinch out yet? I did see somewhere the suggestion that you should pinch after 2 sets of leaves develop.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85997[/ATTACH]They seem to be doing ok. Take it they are not quite big enough to pinch out yet? I did see somewhere the suggestion that you should pinch after 2 sets of leaves develop.
        I'd let them get a little bigger before pinching out the tops, but it probably wouldn't be a problem if you did it now. They're going to need to be planted out or potted on pretty soon though.

Comment

Thanks. Think I’ll wait a bit. They are growing pretty slowly but guess it’s not been the warmest. Am hoping to get them out soon. Do they need it to be pretty warm before planting out ?

Comment

Thanks. Think I’ll wait a bit. They are growing pretty slowly but guess it’s not been the warmest. Am hoping to get them out soon. Do they need it to be pretty warm before planting out ?
            Mine have been outside for about a month - they don't like it much and look a bit sorry for themselves but I reckon the roots keep developing and as soon as it warms up they'll kick in to gear. I wouldn't plant in frosty weather - but that pretty much goes for anything.

Comment

I've had mine in my cold greenhouse too, and was thinking they needed to go out soon. I can see roots coming out the bottom of the pot. Toying with putting some plastic down on the bed they're to go in, maybe warm up the soil a bit (if the sun ever comes out that is!)
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                I've had mine in my cold greenhouse too, and was thinking they needed to go out soon. I can see roots coming out the bottom of the pot. Toying with putting some plastic down on the bed they're to go in, maybe warm up the soil a bit (if the sun ever comes out that is!)
                Should be fine - sounds like you have a plan - I've had sweet-peas outside in trays with snow all over them some years - they're much tougher than people think.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  Hope all goes well - I have to put something over mine (usually thorny twigs) to protect them from the deer - but I reckon the main thing is to encourage the plants to make extensive root systems before the weather turns dry .

Your cornflowers should be fine to plant out now.
                  I followed Nickdub’s advice and put mine out on about 25 Feb.
                  They’re looking good - will post a photo tomorrow.
                  The cornflowers are also looking good - so thanks for that,Nick!

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                    I followed Nickdub’s advice and put mine out on about 25 Feb.
                    They’re looking good - will post a photo tomorrow.
                    The cornflowers are also looking good - so thanks for that,Nick!
                    You're very welcome - glad it worked out OK for you - very nice to get some feedback. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                      You're very welcome - glad it worked out OK for you - very nice to get some feedback. :-)
                      Photo of sweet peas

Name:	67123C9A-664C-496D-8886-389E2B289DF1.jpg
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	2382998

Comment

And cornflowers

Name:	2ACF74C8-59C8-438A-B9FF-D2A492EB4AD9.jpg
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	2382999

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                          Photo of sweet peas
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]86018[/ATTACH]
                          I always use netting...do those strings work well/are you tying in lots?

Comment

I've stared taking my sweet peas out of the GH during the day to get them used to being outdoors. I seem to have more failures than usual
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I only tie them in at the start when I plant them out. Thereafter they just grab on to the canes and the horizontal strings I’ve previously put in at about 10 inch spacing.
                              Has always worked well for me.
                              No trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Finished off the horizontal strings yesterday....... now let’s hope those sweet peas take off!

Name:	E77E203C-3E52-406E-A579-9274FE40170F.jpg
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	2383079

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X