Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterilising compost and drainage?

Hello Folks,

Just sieved about 50-70 litres of old compost for the Mrs pots when the bulbs arrive this month.

The questions I have is firstly should I treat the old compost with anything?

Second question is are those "quaver" like polystyrene packaging things suitable for the bottom of the pots for drainage?

Thanks As Always..........Broadway
    Cheers

Danny

You can certainly use the 'quavers' for drainage. Polystyrene is inert and won't affect the soil or plants. However, opinions differ on re-using compost. I certainly wouldn't use compost again for the same family of plants - I wouldn't grow spuds again in a spuds pot for example. You can concentrate your problems. You can sterilise compost in the microwave but it's a real faff. Compost isn't that expensive. I think for bulbs I'd be tempted to beef it up with a bit of pelleted chicken manure (check the amount on the tub) and see how it goes. As long as your previous plants didn't die of vine weevil infestation you should be ok.
    Many people prefer to use old compost to mulch beds or add it to the compost bin.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X