Delphinium seeds - save or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delphinium seeds - save or not?

I have just harvested seeds from my Delphinium Pacific Hybrids - lovely blue flowers on it.

Wondering if the seeds will be viable or not, can anyone advise please?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Sow... go...

You will get Delphinium babys from your seeds, but you will get a variation on the parent not an exact copy.

The only way to get a copy of the parent is to take cuttings in the spring.

Sow the seeds, you will get interesting results no doubt.
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for that Seasprout. Don't think there are any delphiniums close by so I can but hope for more blue ones I guess. They are pretty anyway, just wondered if the seeds would grow or not and you answered that one.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hello Shirlthegirl, you can check the viability of any seeds like this. Dampen a sheet of kitchen paper . Fold it in quarter. Put some seeds on one half and fold the other half over. Put the parcel in a small poly bag to stop the paper drying out. Keep it in a reasonably warm place. Check the seeds at regular intervals. If you see white wiggly shoots coming out of the seeds they are viable and will germinate, so the rest of your seeds should be viable too. Good luck with your delphiniums. Hope you get some nice blue ones. And remember when you plant out the young plants the slugs find them a special delicacy.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for that Alice. Should I sow some now and keep them in the greenhouse over the winter, or sow in spring? I know about the slugs, bought a plant last year that vanished overnight! this year's one has been living in the middle of a large saucer with a little water in it - seems to be working but I will have to find it a proper home soon.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Hello Shirlthegirl. I would keep the seeds and sow them in the spring. I hope they do great for you.

Comment

Thanks Alice, would you like a few to try? There is another flower spike which is still in bloom so there will be loads more seeds in a couple of weeks.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Will PM you Shirl.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X