Taking cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needing help please?

Is there a thread somewhere on how to take cuttings?

I'm a bit lost!

Thanking you.

Comment

Hi and welcome, Moonlady.
      I don't think there is a general thread about taking cuttings - but you can ask how to take cuttings of specific plants and someone will probably be able to help you.

Comment

Welcome moonlady

When it comes to cuttings I usually make it up if I don’t know. Probably not the advice you were after .
        That’s how I approach most of my gardening actually

Comment

Look what I found when I had a look at the cuttings Scarlet sent me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF2B7BFC-A71E-4F1D-ACF3-4CFB6AA062D0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2384854

This very cute little pale pink poppy

Thank you Scarlet, I’ll be saving his tiny little seed pod when it’s ready

Comment

I've tried a couple of times to take cuttings from my hydrangeas, because I love them so much and would love more. I've not had any success, despite initially looking as if they were going to take, then dying off. Anyone been successful with them?
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              I've tried a couple of times to take cuttings from my hydrangeas, because I love them so much and would love more. I've not had any success, despite initially looking as if they were going to take, then dying off. Anyone been successful with them?
              That is one thing I have managed to take cuttings from in the past. I did this. I’m having another go, it probably won’t work this time because they’re for me.
              https://web.extension.illinois.edu/ccdms/yg/170913.html

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                Back to cuttings.
                How do you take bay cuttings? I’ve tried everything I can think of, without success.
                I’ve tried left cuttings, hard & soft wood cuttings with rooting compound, cuttings in a bucket of water.
                What else can I try?
                Sp try taking cuttings the same way you can take cuttings of rhododendron, that's by pinning a branch down onto the ground, find a branch that is flexible enough to bend and able to touch the ground, or a pot of compost if necessary, lower the branch still connected to the plant remove a leaf which would be touching the ground exposing a node and pin it down on the ground using a large piece of U shaped wire or a stone and leave till rooted, or select a soft wood branch remove a couple of leaves and pack some moist compost round the exposed nodes and hold the compost in place with some clingfilm secured in place with tape or wire tight enough to seal it but not tight enough to chocke it leave it there ensuring it doesn't dry out and wait till you see some roots
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Thank you both, I will try those methods
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    Back to cuttings.
                    How do you take bay cuttings? I’ve tried everything I can think of, without success.
                    I’ve tried left cuttings, hard & soft wood cuttings with rooting compound, cuttings in a bucket of water.
                    What else can I try?
                    Have you tried heel cuttings?
                    You rip a semi-ripe stem off, with a "heel" of bark from the main stem still attached to it, then plant that as usual.
                    Also, bay tend to sucker like mad, so you could always try just digging up a rooted sucker?

Comment

I've had some success with bay (albeit one has just expired of disease).

Cut the leaves in half to reduce evaporation. And wait.

Mine have taken over a year to get going

Comment

Dont forget I pro.ised to by you a plum tree for your new home SP

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                          Dont forget I pro.ised to by you a plum tree for your new home SP
                          Thank you GL. You’re the loveliest weed fairy ever

Comment

Anyone know if you can propagate a bottle brush plant from cuttings?
                            Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                            By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                            While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I am currently trying a wisteria cutting (not looking hopeful) and layering it. It threw out a ground-level shoot that had little root-like buds on the bottom, so I've put that over a pot of compost and am hoping...

Comment

I’ve added some Buddleia cuttings to my list. 2 varieties, don’t know the names. The normal purple one and a variegated dark purple one.

Lots of my other cuttings have taken. so I’m happy about that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X