No announcement yet.

Taking cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to take some cuttings of honeysuckle and wild rose from our hedgerows a while back - I wanted to propagate local wild hedge species to restore the hedge around our plot. The honeysuckle ones rotted almost instantly, and I think I did manage to root one rose out of 8 cuttings. :-/ I do NOT have the knack of cuttings....

Comment

SP, I'm chopping back some shrubs now ...........do you want cuttings of,
      Forsythia,
      Weigela - green leaves and red flowers
      Weigela - variegated leaves with pink flowers
      Fuchsias - hardy perennial bush
      Camellias - various single and double.

I've grown all of these using the VC "bung it in a bucket of water and forget about it" technique.

Camellias are a bit fussier so I've sometimes shove a few in a pot of soil as well. Can't be too difficult as I'm growing a camellia hedge from cuttings!
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-09-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        SP, I'm chopping back some shrubs now ...........do you want cuttings of,
        Forsythia,
        Weigela - green leaves and red flowers
        Weigela - variegated leaves with pink flowers
        Fuchsias - hardy perennial bush
        Camellias - various single and double.

I've grown all of these using the VC "bung it in a bucket of water and forget about it" technique.

Camellias are a bit fussier so I've sometimes shove a few in a pot of soil as well. Can't be too difficult as I'm growing a camellia hedge from cuttings!
        Yes please VC
        I had to google Camellias & weigela they are very pretty.
        I can send you a mini fuchsia cutting I think they’ve taken there’s new growth and / or cranesbill ( I don’t know the name ), physocarpus, black currant, oregano, ginger mint?and buddleia when I know it’s taken.

Comment

No need to send me anything, SP, thanks. I have more than I can find places for!!
          Didn't think you liked soft fruit - 'cos I can send you jostaberry cuttings if you want some. They're a cross between blackcurrants and gooseberries - no thorns.

Comment

Camellias prefer acidy soil which you probably have as I've seen the rhododendrons on the roadside!
            Mine grow like trees - they're up to the 1st floor windows and need cutting back severely. I love them as they're evergreen, flower throughout the winter - there's one that flowers in December and the bees love them.

Comment

No need to send me anything, SP, thanks. I have more than I can find places for!!
              Didn't think you liked soft fruit - 'cos I can send you jostaberry cuttings if you want some. They're a cross between blackcurrants and gooseberries - no thorns.
              Thanks VC but he11 no ! To the jostaberry it’s taken nearly 6 years but I think I’ve finally managed to kill the one here . You’re right I don’t like soft fruit but the blackbirds do. I was thinking maybes the black currant as part of an edible hedge somewhere, maybe?
              That reminds me, must try taking cuttings from the red currant ( I like red currant jelly)

Comment

I have jostaberries and their extremely prickly cousins, Worcesterberries, blackberries and wineberries, hazel and elder in a hedge. I rarely pick any - they're for the birds.

Comment

Camellias prefer acidy soil which you probably have as I've seen the rhododendrons on the roadside!
                  Mine grow like trees - they're up to the 1st floor windows and need cutting back severely. I love them as they're evergreen, flower throughout the winter - there's one that flowers in December and the bees love them.
                  Camellias should love it up here then. Can you get climbing ones? I think the place I used to work had a climbing one. It was either that or it was just really leggy fighting for space and light against climbing roses & clematis.

Comment

Don't know about climbing ones - mine are more like trees!!

Comment

Don't know about climbing ones - mine are more like trees!!
                      Thinking back, I think the poor thing was just struggling. But I do remember it was very pretty with its shiny glossy leaves and big pink flowers. It looked like a very odd palm tree with a very skinny 10ft trunk and half a dozen little branches sticking out the top.

Comment

Here's the earliest one - 15thJanuary, I'm standing beneath it - the window is the half landing on the stairs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0041.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	2385241

This is another one - front hedge grown from cutting. - also 15th jan.

Name:	100_0042.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	2385242
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Wow that is big and beautiful. I’ll have to select a good spot at the top of the garden where he can just go nuts

Comment

Red currant cuttings taken

Comment

Taken some cuttings from this hydrangea

Name:	60AC1010-D851-4553-804F-B8EC4C13FA3D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	2385246

The white ones have taken nicely. Just need to steal a branch from a blue one up the road ( after asking first obviously )

Comment

(Red currant jelly is the Beginning and Ending of All Things. i.e it's Da Bomb :-D)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X