Winter window box

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter window box

Hi, I am not a good gardener, so any advice appreciated!! I have a window trough and was wondering if there were any flowers, trailers etc I could put in this for the winter, rather than just having it bare?

All suggestions appreciated!!!!
    8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

Originally posted by daisychook View Post
    Hi, I am not a good gardener, so any advice appreciated!! I have a window trough and was wondering if there were any flowers, trailers etc I could put in this for the winter, rather than just having it bare?

All suggestions appreciated!!!!
    On a vegetable theme............I seem to be seeing quite a lot of ornamental cabbage/kales plants in the shops just now!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You could try Polyanthus with trailing ivy.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Winter pansies are good do-ers, though you do see them everywhere. Pretty but not unusual. A bit of ivy in with it breaks it up.
        Incidentally I detest ornamental kale, they look like overblown sick roses and apparently taste like sh*t!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm growing an oriental salad leaf mix in mine, yummy!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Mine always have ivy in (so tough and evergreen), and my lobelia is still flowering like mad. When its finished I'll put in some red cyclamen I think (pansies always go leggy and floppy for me)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have a row of 14 pots of Cyclemen on my railings surrounding my balcony and they really brighten up the place.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Flummery;134913
                Incidentally I detest ornamental kale, they look like overblown sick roses and apparently taste like sh*t![/QUOTE]

Thats cos you're not supposed to eat em!

Ok then, we'll go with another brassica........... Wallflowers. Bonny colours and a wonderful scent inter spaced with foget-me-nots!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I KNOW you're not supposed to eat them - but a girl can try!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I agree with Snadger, wallflowers and forget-me-nots - GORGEOUS!
                    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0139.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2319727
                      You could try some small, early flowering daffodils. Tete a tete is very pretty, flowers early and does well in containers. Nothing like the daffs to brighten the spring.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mini cyclamen are really good - available now from garden centres and market stalls and Aldi, ivy to bulk it up a bit, and some crocus bulbs for early flowering colour. You could also put in some dwarf narcissus for spring colour.

Comment

Miniature iris are beautiful and start to flower in late Jan (in Cheshire anyway). Just bung them in now and they'll look wonderful for weeks. The foliage is thin, so it won't make the trough look untidy after the flowers have died back.
                          http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, thank you all very much.

(shall definitely give them ornamental veg a wide berth!!!!!!!!)

xx
                            8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

Comment

Winter pansy's underplanted with spring Bulbs (min daffs jetfire, tete a tete, jack snipe or minnow. Hyacynths, tulips & crocus) nice varieagated Ivy and maybe some winterflowering Heathers. ......... bootiful
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X