No announcement yet.

Bulbs In Pots / Winter Pansies On Top?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulbs In Pots / Winter Pansies On Top?

Hello Folks,

Just planted up my pots with bulbs for next spring. The question I have is they look rather sad at the moment, If I put winter pansies on top will they impact the bulbs growth at all?

As always thanks for any advice.

Danny
    Cheers

Danny

HI Broadway,

I am no expert, complete novice on flowers! But I am sure you can plant over the bulbs and they will simply push through in spring.

I am sure there is another thread about planting bulbs over bulbs to give different flowering times etc. I think it might have been Alice who posted.

I am sure some wise grape will be along soon to advise, Mandy

Comment

I normally plant two lots of bulbs in the same pot. I put the first lot down really far towards the bottom of the pot, add more soil and then the second lot of bulbs. This insures a pot full of blooms for a longer period of time as the bottom layer of bulbs will take longer to come through. And yes, you can plant pansys on top as the bulbs will push through no matter what.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

The big barrel in our front has about 5 layers of bulbs in it. They flower from January onwards, through the winter pansies which are then replaced with Impateins for Summer.

Comment

I would definitely put something on top of bulbs. As you say, it looks pretty sad with just a tub of 'the brown stuff' so get soemthing in to fill the space. I think you can get some of the hardy primula types around now. They are just greenery at the moment but that's better than brownery eh? Don't forget a bit of variegated ivy looks nice to trail and gives you another visual layer.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Danny, yes I would definitely put some plants in the top to brighten the pots up. You can use pansies,violas,primulas,cyclamen etc. & the bulbs will just push their way through next spring. I always plant up pots with tulips in the bottom then a layer of daffodils then crocuses near the top with pansies etc. at the very top, you get a nice long display that way.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hmmm, you've all got me thinking about my sad summer pots. When do we start planting bulbs in them, is it too early, and can tulips, daffs and crocuses be put in all at the same time? Just normal compost I presume? (Sorry to hijack again btw!)
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi Moggsue, yes you can put all the bulbs in the pot at the same time, just put a thin layer of compost in between each different kind. I usually put the largest, usually the tulips in the bottom & then layer up trying not to put the bulbs directly on top of one another so that they have room to grow up past each other. I only use multi-purpose compost & it works fine but you could use special basket & tub compost if you like which has added feed etc. in it (I think Miracle Gro do one).You can put bulbs in any time now up till about end of Nov. but the later you put them in the late they'll probably flower. If you're putting tulips in the ground it's better to leave them until Nov. or even Dec. to avoid 'tulip fire' but in pots it doesn't matter. I've just planted up all my pots & baskets with winter bedding & bulbs & they brighten the place up.
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X