No announcement yet.

Propagating Roses from a Cut Bunch...?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propagating Roses from a Cut Bunch...?

Hi everyone!

I was pulling the dying stems out of a vase of flowers yesterday when I noticed the 'past it' roses had healthy shoots off their stems.

Can I propagate these or it really unlikely they'll take?

Has anyone ever had luck propagating roses and how did you do it, bearing in mind I already have the stems cut

Cheers!!
    Shortie
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

SHORTIE
    Roses like apples are mainly cuttings grafted onto a differant rootstock, so the cutting you are trying to grow on might not have the vigour as a plant to grow the flowers it has on it now, but there again give it a go what have you got to lose.

Comment

Yes you can shortie - they are usually done as hardwood cuttings though.

Paul is right that they are normally grafted but theats more from a commercial point of view you can get lots in a short ( er .... sorry) no time at all with the minimum effort.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

I cut stems off my roses and just stick them in the ground and forget them, I've managed to double my stock this way. Just like blackcurrant cuttings.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hmm.... as you say, nothing to lose... so I just stuff them in the ground then...? I thought they'd take more work than that, lol!
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I was always told to take a length of stem, green at the top, brown at the bottom about 8" long and plunge it into sand in a V shaped spade depth trench. Healthy stem cuttings really do root very quickly, but the resulting plants I've been disappointed with, not nearly as good as the original plants.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I do likewise but in a big pot of 50-50 john innes and sand. Most make it.

Comment

When I bought a rose earlier this year, a bit broke off it and I asked a similar question on here. In the end, I left it in a glass of water on the kitchen windowsill. It now (finally) has roots and shoots so I will be adding some compost to it as soon as I remember.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

The rose i put in for the competition was a cutting from the parent bush and has done just aas the original.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X