Flowers on the plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers on the plot

What are everyone fav flowers for their plot? Would like a few ideas to brighten up my girly plot next year.
    Though I might intermingle the runner beans with sweet pes, encourage in some lovely insects.
    What else has been successful for you guys?
    love ll
    Last edited by lainey lou; 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

I have Limnanthes (poached egg) as a green manure and to attract hoverflies (which eat aphids). It is self-seeding, and flowers at least twice a year.
    Also self-seeding Calendula and Nasturtiums.
    I have planted flowers for cutting, I am bringing home armfuls of Dahlia, Aster, Marguerite, Sunflower and Jerusalem Artichoke at the moment. OK you can't eat them, but they feed your soul !
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Do you intermingle the flowers with your veg Two sheds or do you have a seperate area?

Comment

I tried calendulas this year, they have absolutely flowered their little socks off and they're still going strong. I'm saving some seed so I'll put it on the Swap when I've got some other things together. Brilliant colour contrast with the redd cabbages.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
          Do you intermingle the flowers with your veg Two sheds or do you have a seperate area?
          I try to keep the flowers on the edges, with veg in the middles, but they do their own thing really... I prefer to have something than bare ground. The old boys look at my plot and ask do I grow any veg at all?
          If I need a patch for a veg, I pull out the flowers. They're mostly annuals and come back elsewhere anyway.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Now there is an idea. So far I have only planted bulbs along the keep-dog-out-fence, together with hedging that will allow me to remove the fence (in time).

I do like the idea of filling the beds with flowers, provided it fits in with sensible crop rotation priniciples.

I shall look into that.

KK
            Last edited by scared55; 08-10-2007, 03:27 PM.

Comment

There's a bit outside my fenced area that is a little bit bleak to be honest and I bought some "meadow flower" seeds when I was at The Eden Project a few weeks ago. I do love poppies, and the packs contain them, so hopefully....
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We have a load of wild flower mixes that we were going to scatter around the fruit trees, but I might just hijack some whilst Scarey55 is in Paris this week ...

KK

Comment

Tagetes, Tagetes and more Tagetes! No good for cut flowers but they have never stopped flowering all Summer long. I even have them in my greenhouse beds as well!

A good companion plant/edging plant, pretty to look at, bee's love em and they keep the aphids away!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nasturtuums are good, colourful and you can eat them too. Basically anything which looks good and attracts bees goes down well here. Lavender for the lovely smell, also sweet peas. And lottments are good source of cut flowers for home. I am putting old fashioned pinks on mine next year as I love the flowers and don't have enough space at home for them. I inherited some gladioli when I took over the plot, and haven't managed to get rid of them although I don't particularly like them. However, I may post a piccie or two for next year's Show.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                      ................................. I inherited some gladioli when I took over the plot, and haven't managed to get rid of them although I don't particularly like them. However, I may post a piccie or two for next year's Show.
                      Steady!!!!!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wow thanks you guys for a bit of inspiation!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X