clematis aftercare

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clematis aftercare

Is it about now you cut back the clematis down to the bottom? I was told you then have to cover it with stones etc to prevent it being killed by frost (or something like that) though we've had frost and they're not yet dead. I have several clematis bought as small plants from Morrisons this year but clueless as to how to save them through the cooler months.
    Last edited by veg4681; 29-11-2007, 02:20 PM.
    Food for Free

First of all, it depends what sort of clematis it is. The large, later flowering types can be cut right back because they will grow new structure early in the year and flower on those stems. Cover them with a good layer of mulch and they should do ok. You are usually advised to plant clems deeper that they were in the pot to avoid clematis wilt (not particularly to avoid the cold weather - they are tough). The spring and up-to-June flowering ones will need some of last years growth to flower on. They only need a haricut as they are prone to ending up on long legs with flowers just at the top if unpruned. I now only have montana - rampant and joyful in spring - which I only prune when I can't see out! Wish I still had macropetala bluebird as in my old house. I never remember when I'm at the garden centre - must make note to self.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

February is the normal month for cutting down Group 3 Clematis (C. viticella, texensis types). As said C. montana, macropetala, alpina types do not need any pruning normally other than removal of dead or unwanted growths. This is done after flowering, say June. The big flowered hybrids like Nelly Moser etc. you should remove last years growth in winter, leaving the new green whippy stuff to flower. Other types you need to know the name of as some need pruning and some don't.
      Clem like their feet in the shade, which is why covering them with stones was recommended. Personally since their main worse enemy is the snail, which hides under the stones, I do not agree with it. Better, as said to mulch heavily with compost or leaves or something.
      Can you remember the names of your clematis?

Comment

Thank you Palustris and Flummery for the clarification on the 'stone bit' and other useful information.

My mistake, they were bought from Morrison supermarket, not Wilko! Since they're only £1.79 each, I splashed out on 9 varieties below.

Multi Bue, Piilu Little Ducking, Rouge Cardinal, Dr Ruppel, Hagley Hybrid, President, Nelly Moser, Ville de Lyon, Jackmanii

Luckily I've kept the packaging that has growing details inclu pruning. All 9 of them are recommended for pruning from late Feb which is handy for remembering.

If anybody's interested, best performer was Little Duckling with lots of lovely stripy flowers, Multiblue flower is too heavy for the plant, keeps drooping and not that many flowers. Had 3-4 flowers on President and Nelly Mosser is only just flowering...this is wrong timing. Rest didn't grow fast enough for flowers this year (also due to planting later than others).
        Last edited by veg4681; 29-11-2007, 03:00 PM.
        Food for Free

Comment

I think they are all the late flowering ones, so only need the old growth trimming.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Rouge Cardinal is a later flowerer and should be cut to 30 cms in Feb, as is Hagley Hybrid, also Ville De Lyon and Jackmannii.
            The others only need dead and unwanted wood removing in Feb.
            Last edited by Palustris; 29-11-2007, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X