Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witch hazel - advice needed

Hi there dearly delicious people.

It's been some time since I've been able to concentrate on what's going on in the garden and on the plot as I've been down south for pretty much the last 5 months helping to nurse my poorly Mum.

Sadly we lost her in late February, and said goodbye to her yesterday.

At some stage she had said she wanted to buy me a witch hazel bush as they were advertised in a Sunday supplement one week. We never got round to doing anything about it.

Now some of my time is my own again, I want to get one. I know nothing about any of the Hamamelis varieties and would appreciate some help before I just buy the first one I google.

One of the drawbacks at the moment however is that I don't know if I'm staying put up north, or end up moving back to the sunny south, so ideally it would have to be in a pot for one, possibly two years before I find somewhere to lay my hat.

I'd prefer a fragrant variety, brighter colour the better. When's best to plant, and is ericaceous compost required .... you all know the sort of questions I need answering.

Thanks as always.

Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Hi there, I know nothing about hazels (except that I like hazelnuts?), but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your loss and hopefully some experienced grapes will soon come and be able to offer some advice.

Comment

Many thanks, it's been a rough old 5 months, but Mum will certainly keep me busy in the garden and on the plot with all the seeds and suggestions that she's planted in my brain ! She donated her little car to the cause, and on Sunday when we drive back, it will be filled with pots of bulbs, tomato and broad bean seedlings, just germinated love-in-the-mist and all sorts that I've accumulated while I've been down here ! It will be some sight ! lol
      Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

Hi MrsKP,

Sorry I can't help about hazel.

Just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear about your mum, I to had a similar time with mine before she passed away. If you want to chat just PM me.

Mandy x

Comment

Sorry about your Mum, what a lovely way to remember her.
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hi Mrskp, I hope you're getting over your loss. I've always fancied a 'witch hazel' but typically never got around to actually buying one. I think its because I could never pronounce the Latin name to ask for one!!! Anyway I've had a google to see if anything interesting popped up.

According to the Beeb site the National Collection of Hamamelis is at Sir Harold Hillier Gardens:

Hillier Arboretum - Results of Database Search

Those are the results when I searched for witch hazel. It would seem that you have to decide which witch hazel! They've got Japanese, Chinese, Ozark and just plain Witch Hazel!
            Witch hazel - Hamamelis virginiana
            Deciduous shurb or small tree. Height to about 5 m. Branches point upwards. Leaves are alternate with small teeth, unequal base and a long pointed tip, 10-15 cm, deep green and shiny upperside. They turn yellow in autumn.
            When I then searched the Hillier database on Hamamelis then it brought up 125 matches! Here's what the RHS says about them

Genus Hamamelis -

The Hamamelis genus is a group of five or six species of deciduous shrubs grown for their spider-like, fragrant, frost resistant flowers and autumn leaf colour. They originate from East Asia and North America, in woodlands, woodland margins and along riverbanks. They form deciduous shrubs or small trees with a short trunk, bearing numerous spreading, crooked branches. At maturity they range from 2-5m (6-15ft) tall. They have thin bark and shallow roots. ...

Vernal witch hazel (Hamamelis vernalis), which is found in the wild only along rocky streams in the Ozarks, blooms in late winter to early spring. It is an upright shrub that grows to 2m (6.5ft) tall and has sweet smelling, often reddish tinged blossoms. The American witch hazels can be confused with two Oriental species commonly grown as ornamentals. One of these is H. japonica from Japan and the other is H. mollis from China. These species have been hybridised to create Hamamelis x intermedia.
            Hamamelis virginiana - Witch Hazel

This species of Hamamelis is a large erect shrub or small tree with a height and spread of up to 5m (15ft) that bears oval or nearly rounded leaves. These grow to 15cm (6in) long and are a medium green above and paler below during the growing season, then turning clear, pale yellow in the autumn. It is at this time of year that the flowers emerge. As the leaves begin to fall, the beautiful, small, fragrant, pale yellow flowers begin to emerge, and between October and December, the plant looks and smells wonderful. There is also a cultivar called 'Rubescens' which has reddish tinged flowers.

Native Americans considered Hamamelis virginiana to be an important medicinal plant. The bark was used to treat skin ulcers, sores, and tumours. Boiled or steaming twigs were employed to loosen and soothe sore muscles. Hamamelis tea was taken to stop internal bleeding and to treat dysentery, colds, and coughs. A mixture of leaves and twigs was applied to cuts, bruises, and insect bites.

Cultivation -
            Hamamelis will tolerate heavy shade, along with deep soil over chalk, but they prefer a peaty, acid, well-drained soil in full sun or dappled shade. In the garden they make ideal specimen shrubs, and are equally suited to group plantings, great where the autumn foliage colour and winter flowers and fragrance can be appreciated.

Pruning is necessary only to remove deadwood and should be carried out after flowering.
            From that info it seems to suggest the ones that smell are the American ones?

So which Witch is which! Good luck with your choice.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

thanks petals for both your kind thoughts and your advice ! I'd found a nice nursery on the RHS site but they are wholesale only ! I'll have a good read and maybe even email the experts to see what they suggest.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your Mum; I grow Rudbeckia 'Rustic Dwarves' every year, as it was the last pack if seeds my Mum bought me

I have a Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena', which looks lovely and smells even lovelier
                http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

I sowed Mum's Love-in-the-mist seeds on Mother's Day, I've a feeling it will become a bit of a tradition ! All germinated nicely now and ready for potting on once I've got back north of the wall.

Will read up on Jelena. Thanks HappyMouffe. This is getting to be an exciting adventure in to the world of Hamamelis .............

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Mum Mrskp.

Whitch Hazel is very easy but it gets very large. Mollis is the variety that smells georgeous and is in flower inJan/Feb bright yellow on bare stems. It should be all right in a large pot for a while if you buy a small one and pot it on. It doesn't need pruning and doesn't seem to be fussy about soil.

The bonus is that the leaves give really good autumn colour. You should be able to get one at most garden centres. Mine has just opened its seed pods. If I can find some seed would you like some? PM me your address.

Best of luck.
                    Last edited by roitelet; 22-03-2008, 07:54 AM.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hello Mrskp, so sorry to hear about your mum, but how lovely that she left you with so much to enjoy. I've always fancied a witch hazel, but never bought one as the ones I've seen at our local GC were large and so very expensive and I didn't want to make a serious mistake. I'll watch this thread with interest now and may even pluck up courage to buy one.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X