climing roses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• climing roses

Have just put in a climbing rose to try to disguse my fencing, was wondering (as I know nothing about roses) how much support i will need to provide?
    Some wire running along the fence?
    A proper wooden trelicey thing?
    I'm presuming the fence alone will not do?
    Thanks in anticipation!

Edit, just realised I can't spell climbing!!!!!
    Last edited by lainey lou; 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

I think it will be fine with just some wire attached to the fence to stop it rocking too much in the wind/to train it where you want it.

Comment

Hi Lainey Lou

I grow climbing roses. Just use some garden wire or soft twine. When the new shoots start to make some good progress tie in the shoots using a figure of eight so you don't damage the stems. I use the soft twine to start as the growth is quite soft, once the rose gets a but tougher or woodier change to wire.

I love to see the pictures on the boxes of climbing rose they always look compact with lots of blooms, mine never look like that. lol
      But here's hoping ........
      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Hi there

Sounds like a lovely idea. One tip I had, whether you use a trellis or just wires, make sure you watch the growth and tie it in on the outside - don't let it find its way behind the trellis, you'll never keep it under control that way and it may lever your support away from the fence. I inherited a honeysuckle that had done that, only option was to cut it away from the wires!
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys I,ll get OH to put up some wire for me.
          I've always been a bit scared of growing roses although I adore them (hence my daughters name - Rose), but the one I chose - Handel, I just couldn't resist!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

zephirine drouin,mmmmmmmm what a fragrance and thornless too

Climbers 3

mind you,schoolgirl is another favourite of mine.lets not go there lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X