Dahlias

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dahlias

I've got a couple of packets from my local cheap-jack shop. They show several tubers connected together. Should I plant the whole clump or divide the tubers on the hope that they will sprout?

Thank you

You can split dahlias, but you must make sure that each section has a bit of the stalk still attached, because this is where the new shoots will come from. Tubers will still grow roots without the stalk, but the poor things will not be able to put up green shoots, so you won't get a plant. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BarleySugar; 18-04-2008, 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes thanks BarleySugar, you've saved me a lot of trouble

Comment

I would put the tubers in some damp sand or compost and let them sprout before spliting them then you will see where the shoots are coming from.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I've shoved them in a bucket with some moist compost in my room... Fingers crossed they will sprout. Thanks

Comment

...and when they sprout, you can take some cuttings off them, to increase your stock
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X