No announcement yet.

Do you care about colour combinations?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you care about colour combinations?

I see a plant i like, I'll buy it, find a space and plant it. I love alsorts of plants and I'm not big on colour combinations mainly because I haven't got a clue really.

What do you think? Do you keep colours together or consult a colour wheel to see what goes together? I'd be interested to hear what you think!

Nature doesn't bother and wildflower meadows are a riot of colour - I like what I like and I bang it in where there's a space! I also let things seed so I get migration (in the direction of the wind usually!)

I do know about the colour wheel and would use specific combinations of colour in a quilt, but that's manufactured. I don't like my flower beds to look manufactured, I like them to look like they just happened.

PS - the title sounded like your winter underwear had run in the wash!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As someone who is partially colour blind I think colour combination is highly overrated.

My wife, on the other hand, looking at me dressed up to go out, wouldn't agree!
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
      I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

I don't mind too much about flowers colour, as long as they are not as green as leaves .
        My favorite wild flowers are field daisy (bellis parennis) and dandelions and yes, I let them grow in our back garden.
        In fact I don't have much flowers in our garden apart from some nasturtium,camomile,dahlia,tulips,zinnias,narciscus, croccuses and zinnias. The rest of the colours I get from the vegetables such as rainbow chard, vulcan chard, yellow and purple beans, red mustard, etc.

It would be interesting to see either mono colour theme or mix colour theme .
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I'm new to gardening so its all good to me. I dont care, apart from less green the better.

Comment

Oh good! Its reassuring to hear that it isn't important ansd I'm doing something right

Comment

I don't think there is any right or wrong when it comes to colour.If you like red/yellow combination then it must be right.Our gardens are our space to do exactly what we like with them.If you want to squeeze any plant any where just 'cos you love them, go for it!Bit like my garden really,if I see something I love then I have to bring it home and worry where it's going to go later.Anyway what's wrong with green? Green flowers,now you're talking!
              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

As my garden is kind of "empty" at the moment, I just got headacke just to try and figure it out where to put what!!
                I even made a plan, the "garden map", with my computer!
                the problem is as soon as I think of colors, then it goes on to foliage aspects, heights, shape...then I got migraines!

So I dont bother really, just do with the feeling of the moment, can't wait to see all come out!

Comment

Mother nature never seems to get it wrong and I'll bet she doesn't have a colour wheel or worry about complementary colours. When buying seeds and plants I just buy what I like and plant it where it will fit in the garden, always seems to look ok.

Comment

I'm just please to see things growing. Especially with my luck with plants. I'm the sort of person that can kill grass, so everything else is a bonus.
                    James the novice

Comment

I really love colour. In the garden, I like deep rich jewel colours (dark red, purple, black) and anything unusual: purple carrots, red broadies, yellow and purple beans etc.

For clothing, I know that autumnal colours (rust, khaki, moss, chocolate, tan) suit me best, so I only ever buy clothes in those colours now. Makes choosing so much easier.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I like lots of colour - not bothered if flowers don't match!
                        Last edited by heebiejeebie; 01-05-2008, 08:24 PM.
                        You are a child of the universe,
                        no less than the trees and the stars;
                        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

I don't care so much about colour wheels and such but I do have a love of blue flowers so try to keep to major on blue and use complimentary colours - purples, black, whites and palest pink and creams. I don't like reds/yellows so try to avoid those. I've gone mad this year and filled up a 30ft x 11ft bed with shrubs and perennials and really looking forward to seeing what happens to my flower border.
                          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Ethansmum View Post
                            I see a plant i like, I'll buy it, find a space and plant it. I love alsorts of plants and I'm not big on colour combinations mainly because I haven't got a clue really.

What do you think? Do you keep colours together or consult a colour wheel to see what goes together? I'd be interested to hear what you think!
                            Hi - funny I was having the same thoughts today when deciding where to plant out various bits and bobs! Decided it didn't really matter - if it grows, fab, if not, it'll not make a difference to the colour scheme! I just like lots of colour and variety really so decided not to bother about co-ordinating my plants!
                            "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

i really hate municipal-style bedding, where they shove in plants of every different colour, without thought or care.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X