Help with Dwarf (Minstrel) Dahlias

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Dwarf (Minstrel) Dahlias

I am pretty much a novice on growing flowers, except for the Annuals like Marigolds, Pertunias, Busy Lizzie, etc.

This is the first time I have grown these Dwarf Dahlias from seed. They have blossomed well, lots of differnt colours, which I am pleased, although the darker variety of leaf, are more stragerly.

Any help would be appreciated thanks. Like when to prune back and how far to promote more buds. Also can I save the seeds, and does a tuber form at the end of the flowering season?

Hi Callie,

Just pinch the dead flowers off and they'll keep flowering till the 1st frosts. They should produce tubers and you can lift these let the ripen and keep frost free then next year start them off with some heat and take cuttings that way you can grow the ones that you like. If you save seed there is no guarantee that they will be anything like these ones as they will be open pollinated so you might not even get dwarf plants.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Nick's told you everything Callie. I never lift them, some just come back up and I find it just as easy to grow from seed each year as to lift, dry, store etc.

Nice to see you Nick. Maybe I've just been missing your posts but good to see you around.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice,

I took Mrs G on a romantic Holiday to Canada ... didn't work, I still can't have another greenhouse
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick and Alice for both your good advice. I think I will lift the tubers later in the year. What month would be best?
          Last edited by Callie; 03-08-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X