X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking cuttings from roses

Anyone successful at this ?
    Northern England.

Yes, take a peice of unflowered half ripe wood about 30cm long in late October and remove all the leaves. Push into the ground for about half it’s length and wait!! In the spring you should see some leaves develop but leave it where it is to grow. In The autumn it should have developed a good root system and can be moved to its final position. I prefer to leave them until March before moving them.. if they get too big during the summer trim them up a bit to keep them under control.

best of luck
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Some varieties don't seem to make very good strong plants, they were grown to be grafted onto a stronger rootstock, I have had a couple of successes with ramblers, but hybrid teas were not very good.

Comment

Rambling and wild roses take really easily. I took some cuttings in July once, and all but one took. Although as said above, autumn is the best time.

Comment

Thanks . My neighbours are growing through to our side,so thought I'd make use of the stems before they take my eye out
          Northern England.

Comment

If you want certainty, and just one or two new plants, then layering is more or less guaranteed to work, though of course it needs to be done over a fair length of time - say a year.

Comment

Unfortunately I couldnt get them to the ground to try that but one I will remember . Thanks.
              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X