Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet peas have germinated and ready to pot on.
    Just sown some old sweet William seed.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My autumn sown sweet peas have been doing great but starting to look a bit yellow. Think they could do with getting out of the root trainers and into the ground but far too cold. Sowed some nasturtium seeds today and my zinnia, cosmos and ridolphia seeds have germinated well in the greenhouse.

Comment

Sowed some poached egg seeds today. Completely forgot about them last year.
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
          My autumn sown sweet peas have been doing great but starting to look a bit yellow. Think they could do with getting out of the root trainers and into the ground but far too cold. Sowed some nasturtium seeds today and my zinnia, cosmos and ridolphia seeds have germinated well in the greenhouse.
          Is your greenhouse heated Annie? I'm still to sow my zinnia and cosmos and would normally germinate inside as my greenhouse is unheated.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
            Annie I have found in the past when sweet peas turn yellow its usually down to not enough water, if your watering is OK, you could try removing some from the root trainers, cutting half an inch or so off the base of the sweet peas, add some fresh compost into the root trainer and replace the plant,
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Thanks. I think watering enough but not too much is tricky when they are in root trainers in the unheated greenhouse, so may be that. I took a few out and put in a new pot with fresh loam based compost so should be easier to keep an eye on watering until they can go out.

Comment

I've tried chitting 2 different lots of old sweet pea seed (sow by 2021) and neither is showing any signs of life. Guess I'll have to buy some new seed.
                Sowed 2 varieties of cosmos today. I've had a small heated propagator for years and never used it, so I got it out of the box and set it up for the cosmos, to see if they germinate better than just on the windowsill. Of course, it's old seed so they may not start at all. I really must use up or throw away all my old flower seeds and start afresh.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed tagates, calandula, black eyed Susan and nasturtiums.

My cosmos have all germinated.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Three days and half the cosmos "Purity", (sow by 2021), are up already. Of the "Polidor", (sow by 2022), not a sign yet. The Purity seeds were twice the size of the Polidor though.....
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

We are getting bees soon, whoohoo, so I got a few packets of "bee friendly" wild flowers. There is some waste ground in the field about 50 yards from our house that used to be an old quarry so it's not cultivated (I own it so I can try this out). I plan to sprinkle these all over it and see what takes. I don't know how successful this will be given the seeds won't be tilled in, but its worth a go. It might be spectacular - wishful thinking

Comment

Went away for a few days and seedlings have really come on. Cosmos particularly and really good germination from zinnia, nigella a bit slower but coming through now. Still nothing from the nasturtiums.

Comment

Pricked out zinnia, cosmos, ridolfia and sowed nicotiana lime green. Nigella I sowed recently are starting to come through too.

Comment

Yesterday I sowed 2 types of tagetes and cobea scandens, all old seeds so fingers crossed for some germination.

Comment

Sowed a few morning glory seeds that I had soaked overnight.

Comment

Sowed lots more tagetes aout 7 varieties I think. Cosmos 5 types, zinnia 5 kinds, nicotiana sylvestris, nasturtiums, alyssum, candytuft, tithonia 2 types and african daisy polestar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X