North Facing - Fuschias?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Facing - Fuschias?

I purchased a selection of trailing fuschias the other day to go in my wall troughs, as I was sure I used to grow them in my old north facing garden, but now I'm doubting myself
    Have any of you grown fushias in a north facing position and still had good flowers from them?
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

I grow fuchsias in a hanging basket against an east facing wall where it is close to, and in the shadow of the north facing wall of the house. The basket gets a max of 15 minutes direct sunshine very early in the morning through the summer months then is in shadow the rest of the day with no direct light. They flower profusely and don't struggle to grow towards the sun as many plants will. Your fuchsias will be fine

Busy lizzies also do well in this spot. This was my basket last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230929_122019.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	919.7 KB
ID:	2580110
    Attached Files
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I have a fuchsia in my front garden, which faces north-west, and it always has good flowers. The first ones came out about a week ago, and it should keep flowering until about December.
      It's very easy to look after, in fact. All I do every year is cut it down to the ground in March. Never feed it. It's flowered well every year since we moved into the house (20 years now), and it already looked fairly old when we moved in. I'd say it must be at least 30 years old, maybe older.

Comment

Thanks both. I shall go ahead and pot them up, they will be a lovely change from the usual busy lizzies, begonias etc
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Fuchsia like moist cool conditions, so should grow quite happily against a north facing wall, if you think they are struggling you can always place something white or aluminium foil behind them which reflects the available light
          Last edited by rary; 23-06-2024, 06:27 PM.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X