Why is my window box dying?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my window box dying?

I have filled this with new Compost in Spring as well as liquid feed every week and yet some plants are clearly dying. It was lush a few weeks ago. It can't be lack of nutrition. 😌
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240731_105300_edit_228912225037466.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2582862

looks like most things are going to seed. Cut them back and you may get a second flush. I cut back my allysum when it went to seed at the end of June and now it is flowering again.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I'd have a little poke to check for vineweevils too - they love a window box

Comment

I think it's late in the day for vine weevil grubs as they are active in Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
          I think it's late in the day for vine weevil grubs as they are active in Spring.
          no Marb- they can appear until October .

As can other grubs.

Well worth checking - I certainly had a problem with one pot a few years ago which turned out to be cockchafer grubs.
          Always good to keep an open mind rather than follow text book info!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well if there are any in there It would be impossible to remove them all without going through the whole box with a fine tooth combe. And we'll established plants with lots of roots wouldn't be killed by them. They tend to kill plants early in spring. Also I replenished most of the Compost this season.

Looking at this it still has all its roots so why on earth has this happened? It doesn't make logical sense. The money I have wasted on plants that just die for no reason is ridiculous.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240802_121116.jpg Views:	1 Size:	674.9 KB ID:	2582971
            Last edited by Marb67; 02-08-2024, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I'm pleased to hear there are no vine weevils (nasty little so & so's that have shown no respect for when they're supposed to be active in our pots).

I'm certainly no expert but I'm inclined to think it's most likely just the end of their natural cycle combined with the recent heat.

mothhawk 's tip's worth a try - it might be a bit late for a chelsea chop style treatment but snipping out the dead/dying and deadheading will tidy them up if it achieves nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                I'm pleased to hear there are no vine weevils (nasty little so & so's that have shown no respect for when they're supposed to be active in our pots).

I'm certainly no expert but I'm inclined to think it's most likely just the end of their natural cycle combined with the recent heat.

mothhawk 's tip's worth a try - it might be a bit late for a chelsea chop style treatment but snipping out the dead/dying and deadheading will tidy them up if it achieves nothing else.
                Thanks. Yes I am in the process of deadheading but I have never really known if I should do this with Alyssum. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X