Bluebells

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluebells

Prompted by a previous thread about moving snowdrops and daffodils I need to ask about moving bluebells. Mine are in their third year and my original 30 straggly plants have thrived and are now vigorous great clumps. Are they happy growing like this or should I thin them out and move them around.
    I heard on the radio that bluebells in some parts of the country are under threat, both from the dreaded Spanish infiltrator and from climate change with the overhead canopy greening up sooner in the year and blocking light from the bluebells. So I'm keen to grow as many as poss.
    Sue

Bluebells:
    Divide the clumps in summer after the leaves die down, replanting about 8 cm deep in small clumps of 4 – 12 bulbs.
    They need a cool, shady spot with rich soil. About wildflowers: Bluebell
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds, I'll get going with some of the larger clumps, got the right place for them, I do love bluebells....
      Sue

Comment

I wish you luck Sue. In my experience bluebell bulbs seem to get themselves about 2 feet down . But if you do manage to dig them up just lift them in clumps and put them where you want them. If they are making big clumps I don't think you have to do anything. They are obviously happy. I would leave them alone. You'll probably find them popping up wherever they want to be - whether you want them there or not.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Alice
          2ft!! Blimey

If you think they're happy growing in clumps then I'm happy for them to stay there, I was just a bit worried about overcrowding. I'll let them get on with moving themselves around to their own satisfaction.
          best wishes
          Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X