No announcement yet.

Bedding Plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always grow asters really colourful but the big ostric ones get battered by the rain then statice the tall ones really colourful and you can dry some for in the house for winter then dhalias All these I grow from seed and transplant then set out after frosts

Comment

I threw over the soil last spring some larkspur and was fantastic for height I have saved some seeds so can send you some.They also seemed to tolerate the lack of water this summer and were wonderful for filling in the back border.
      cusicusi

Comment

Sounds like my kind of garden Rustylady. Any pics ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Try achillea and heleniums. Both will match in with rudbeckia.

Achilea is a perenial easilly grown from seed and can also be used for drying or a a cut flower. Heleniums can be annual or perennial and areagain easy to grow and can be used as cut flowers.

Both are quite maintenance free and look superb together.

Comment

Well, I am still pretty clueless on bedding plants. My biggest problem is going to be space in the greenhouse. I could do with getting the bedding plants sown, grown and out beore my main vegetable sowing time begins. But is it warm enough to put the plants outside in a couple of months?
            [

Comment

What you need is a cold frame or a bigger Greenhouse
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Instead of half hardy annuals, how about some of the hardy annuals? One of my favourites is lavatera. Silver cup and white cherub are two varieties that spring to mind. When the ground dries out a bit (!!!) you can rake over the soil and sow them direct, and pretty much forget about them. They are quite tall, so would be suitable for the back of the border.
                valmaeg

Comment

I have some annual lavatera seed Lj if you want it. Its pink and white.

Comment

Piglet I would love some please. If I sow them direct will I have flowers this summer? It's clay soil so not too soaked when I sow them? When do I sow them? Sorry but I don't do flowers just vegetables.
                    [

Comment

Dont worrit, will post a "how too" for you.

Comment

LJ- I grew Rudbeckia for the first time last year and it was the best 'crop' of flowers I have ever grown.
                        They needed little attention, even in the heatwave and just kept on flowering.even now!!
                        I will most certainly be growing these for years to come!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Rudbeckia is superb Nicos, I am trying to get some perenials on the go for my cottage garden. They are fabulous for cutting as well.

Comment

The absolute A1 best bedding plant is Impatiens (busy lizzie). It is extremely difficult to grow from seed (high heat, etc at this time of year), so I tend to buy the plug plants. From experience Dobies, may not be the cheapest, but they are the best quality!!

Once you have them potted on/planted out, they give the most wonderful display of colour, whether it be in full sun, or shade. They are the ultimate bedding plant, from late May until the frost strikes!! Wouldn't be without them.

valmarg

Comment

Love Lies Bleeding and Rudbeckia are my favourites. I always have them in the garden but this year I have to grow my own!!
                              [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
                                Love Lies Bleeding ...... I always have them in the garden but this year I have to grow my own!!
                                Poor old Mr J
                                ntg
                                Never be afraid to try something new.
                                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X