Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey Lillies

Help!!

We (well ok Mr E specifically) were given some Jersey Lily ?bulbs ?corms for Christmas and some very vague instructions about planting them in front of the house (south facing but exposed).

I know Guernsey Lillies are "nerines" but what category do the Jersey ones fall in to? I am loathe to plant them out and lose them, i don't even know when to plant them out.

Would they be better in pots and brought indoors over winter?

I'm usually a total failure with bulbs etc. so I would like to get it right as I don't think these were your 50p each jobbies.

Any advice appreciated. It would be nice to have something to show/tell the folks when they are next here in early March.

Over to you lot to save my proverbial bacon on this one I think!!

Many thanks
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Hello Earthbabe and happy new year
    Your Jersey lillies could be Amaryllis Belladonna.
    You can check out this link

amaryllis belladonna

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Or nerines are known as Jersey lilies too. I think that's probably what you've got Earthbabe. They're a bit fikey, either they will grow for you - ot thet won't, for no reason you can see. They like a well drained, sunny, sheltered spot. If they grow they spread well and produce masses of pink, scented flowers which cut well and stand great in a vase.
      For their first year and to give them their best chance I would plant them in a pot and put them outdoors in a nice spot when all frost is past.
      Try that and let's know how you get on.

Comment

Only to add that unlike many bulbs they should be planted with their shoulder exposed.

Comment

I have had no luck with Nerines at all. I absolutely love the flower and it would be great for late summer, but have now spent so much money on bulbs I will have to give up. As Paulustris says they are very fickle in terms of how deep they are planted, ie not very deep. I have tried all depths! Even sticking right out the ground, but to no avail.

Good luck!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Mine flowered beautifully 2 years ago, but last year I discovered that slugs like their leaves and stems

I'd echo the fact that they like a nice sunny spot and are beautiful in autumn, if they like you.
            http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

If they are happy Earth Babe they could make a take over bid. I had Nerinie and Amarallys Belladona in Devon. T just planted them very shallow and left them alone. They produced large clumps and the bulbs were almost on the surface and very over crowded but they liked that. You will get the leaves in spring and then they will die down. The flowers will appear in the autumn with no leaves. They could take a couple of years to produce flowers

I brought some to France and am still trying to get them to flower .
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks everyone. Thanks Alice especially for the link.

According to the Jersey Tourism website the jersey lillies are Amaryllis Belladonna. The bulbs are huge.

I suppose now is probably as good a time as any to plant them, or should I wait until the ground has warmed up if they are frost tender?
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

In the south west there was no problem with frost. Even out here they survive. I just think that,

1. Don't like the soil.
                  2. Objected to being moved.
                  3. Haven't had enough feed.
                  4. Are just being akward

While they survive I will still keep on trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The next instalment

Inspired by my neighbours tales of his Jersey Lillies I have planted some of mine in pots this weekend. I will aim to get the rest into the border beds over the next week or so.

My neighbours are in open ground and seem happy enough. They have put forth leaves and have not succumbed to the frosts we have had. Fingers crossed then and I'll let you know what happens.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

Good luck with the Jersey Lillies Earthbabe. If they decide they like it they will go wild, if not , well ..........

Comment

At least I can say I've tried.

Hope jerseybean does well with hers too.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X