Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Foolish Way To Grow Grass Or A Stroke Of Genius?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Foolish Way To Grow Grass Or A Stroke Of Genius?

I want to re-turf quite a large area. Direct sowing of seed is not practical for various reasons (such as animal disturbance, etc) and rolls of turf are very expensive in bulk.

So, I hit on sowing seeds in compost trays and growing my own 'slices of turf'.

Like so:

Obviously this will take some time, but I'm hoping that the roots will knit together to form a neat 'slice'.

Have you ever tried this and does it work?

I don't see why not. I was just reading Toby Buckland's new GW book and he was doing a similar thing in seed trays, but using small chunks from his lawn instead to grow on and then later use to patch up any bare spots.

Comment

Great! Thanks.

Toby's the one to follow, as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

I do that for my guinea pigs in winter (grow oat & wheat seeds in a seedtray, on windowsill)

I've never tried transplanting it, but I guess it should work, if you have room for all those trays
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What are you sowing it into? Looks like compost... Wouldn't topsoil be a better medium?

When we had to resow our back garden, we just fenced it off in sections, so that the animals weren't being kept of the whole thing. We just used tree-stakes and netting as a temporary fence, was enough to keep a large German Shepherd out for a couple of months..
          And, we used that Easy Lawn seed, which has micro-clover in the mix - the clover roots fix nitrogen, which feeds the grass, so it establishes quite quickly.

Comment

It depends on the mix of grass seed species. If its just ryegrass it will probably fall apart. Fescues and Bent grases and various other cultivars have either rhysomes or stolons which knit the turf together.
            Another idea would be to put a layer of compost, a layer of fine mesh and another layer of compost on top. The plant roots should intermingle with the mesh and hold the 'turve' together.

Good luck with your experiment!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Interesting replies, peeople! Thanks for the tips.

It is MP compost I'm using. I will also try a few trays with topsoil as the medium.

I will report back to you guys on how it goes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X