Lathyrus Sativus "Sweet Pea"

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathyrus Sativus "Sweet Pea"

I'm growing these for the first time. I'd like to plant them on into 10" decorative containers, but am unsure of the minimum spacing I can get away with. Planting three will give me about 8 1/2" spacing, four is 7". After spending time Googling, learning it's grown as a food crop which was interesting, the little spacing info there is suggests 18". Anyone out there who's grown these before and can offer some advice?

Also, is it advisable to nip the tops? Mind you, they do look a fairly bushy plant, so in my case maybe not.
    Last edited by Hillwalker; 25-04-2011, 02:04 PM.

Originally posted by Hillwalker View Post
    it's grown as a food crop
    My first thought was 'sweet peas are poisonous', so I investigated a bit more. The one you mean is the grass pea/Indian pea?

"when eaten as a large part of the diet over a long enough period (which is often the case during famine) it can permanently paralyse adults from the knees down and cause brain damage in children"

Please don't eat them

I plant my sweet peas about 4" apart, although 8"-12" is recommended. If you pinch them out (when they have 4 pairs of leaves) you'll get more flowers
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-04-2011, 06:21 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Two Sheds. Yes, the Lathyrus Sativus is also known as the grass pea. Although I'm growing them as decoration I may have a nibble. From the same article you linked to: "Grass pea is grown both as feed for livestock and as a grain crop for humans. The crop is an excellent fodder with its reliable yield and high protein content....The crop is harmless to humans in small quantities, but a steady diet of grass pea seeds over a three-month period can cause the neurological disorder."

I normally plant my sweet peas c.6-8" apart and pinch them as you described. The reason I asked the question for the Lathyrus Sativus was that it looks a naturally bushy plant and I didn't want to make it more so given my planned container. Is there anyone reading this who has grown it and can make suggestions?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X