Sweet rocket - Hesperis Matronalis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet rocket - Hesperis Matronalis

Well, having grown some of this from seed, I really need to put a little post up about this little gem. Many years ago I bought a packet of the seed - and when the plants flowered they produced a lovely variety from white to pink to lilac. They are in the stock family, but taller and much more open than stocks.
    The flowers produce a divine scent in the evenings - which attract night flying insects such as moths - which in turn are a huge attraction to the native bats.
    I have some self seeded on the allotment - and I picked some and put them in a vase and they smell gorgeous this evening - a full week after I picked them...
    Attached Files
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

I have just planted some of these, I am hoping they will self seed
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

If they are anything like mine Fi, they will merrily self seed! I prefer plants that need a bit of refereeing rather than the ones that need cosseting!
      And if you trim off the first flower heads before they seed, the plant obligingly sends up another batch.

Comment

There also edible Jean. So they could go in the Herb, Spice & edible parcel. If you can save some of the seeds that would be fab .

Comment

Wow - so I can keep some to self seed! That'll annoy the tidy brigade on the lotties which is a bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Wow - so I can keep some to self seed! That'll annoy the tidy brigade on the lotties which is a bonus!
            I always thought you had a naughty streak in ya...brill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X