Flowering Shrub/Bush ID please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowering Shrub/Bush ID please?

Saw this bush/shrub in a garden in Cornwall - amazing colour. Quite large, tried to get a pic with the flower and leaves in. From a distance the bush just looks pink, so nice.

Any idea what it is? I've taken a cutting, and put it in moist compost in a hope that it may root, as I'd love some of it in my garden. Any tips here with it? I took a couple cuttings, one with flowers/leaves on, and the other smaller - with just leaves on.

Thanks in advance!

I can't tell, but Cornwall makes me think of azaleas & rhodies
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My neighbour said azalea too, those are acid loving aren't they?

Comment

Yup, its definitely either a rhododendron or azalea. They do like acid soil, so if yours isn't naturally acidic, you can grow them in large pots/ containers very successfully, and keep the acidity up by mulching with pine needles and watering with rain water not tap water

Comment

I'd say Azalea, too!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Are they easy to take cuttings from?

If I sink a large pot in the ground, do I need to put gravel in the bottom for drainage? Also should it be erracious and soil mixed or just the acidic compost?

Thanks!!

Comment

Azalea gets my vote, Chris. Yes you need acid soil - you could get away with sinking a pot in the ground but that means lots more upkeep.
              Have you done a soil test? If yours is getting close to neutral you may get away with filing the hole with ericaceous compost and regularly watering with something like sequestrene.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

...and if you want to be peat-free Chris, you can now buy peat-free ericaceous compost

Comment

I've had to do a websearch about growing from cuttings. It would appear you can, and i borrowed these instructions from College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Georgia, USA

To propagate azaleas from cuttings, take terminal cuttings, 2 to 3 inches long, when new growth has hardened. Make the cut just below a node, and remove the lowest leaves. Then pinch out the terminal bud, leaving two to three leaves on the stem.

Next, dip the cut end of the cutting in a rooting hormone, and insert it into a prepared growing mix. Many growing mixes are available in bags at garden centers and nurseries, or you can make your own by mixing finely ground pine bark, perlite, vermiculite and/or sand. The medium should stay moist yet drain well.

Cuttings may be rooted in flats, cell packs, plastic drink containers, milk cartons or other convenient and economical containers. Make certain the container has adequate drainage holes and drains well. Water the growing mix before and after the cuttings are in place.

If you do not have a greenhouse, you can simulate one by placing a clear plastic bag over the rooting container and sealing it with a twist-tie. Place the container in a warm, shaded location, and check the moisture level frequently. If there is condensation within the bag, moisture level should be adequate. Some azalea growers place cuttings under artificial light because it enhances rooting.

Rooting time depends on cultivar, but most will begin to form roots within 4 to 6 weeks. Once the cuttings are firmly rooted, they can be transferred into larger containers. They should be ready for transplanting into the landscape in about 1 year and should be blooming in 2 to 3 years.
                  Hope that helps a bit

Comment

Not tested, shall do this weekend! Hmm just thought a pot may look more natural sunk the ground! Also able to contain water better!

I'll have a lookie aroun though, thanks for the advice. Not heard if that watering stuff either, cheers

Comment

Thanks pb

Comment

You're very welcome Chris.

If you follow the link, just be aware that it is an American site, so the times of year they talk about will be different for us in the UK.

Comment

Ooooooo...small leaves = Azalea to me!!

What a pretty colour!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Layering is a good way to propagate azalea (and other shrubs) but you'd have to go back to Cornwall for that Chris What to do this week: Water your camellias | Mail Online
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There's a garden local to me apparantly (like a proper garden site thingy) that has them too, so I can do that, it's only over the mountain! cheers TS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X