Primrose!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primrose!

I have decided that I love these plants!!

Great colour and look wonderful in spring and autumn.

What I was wondering, as they are so expensive in the shops, is how do you grow them.

Been looking around and cant seem to find seeds anywhere.

By primrose I mean these http://growingwithsuttons.diy.com/sc...SPRI8614_3.jpg
    Last edited by tumbling tom; 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM.

Look them up under primula, you will find loads online!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Okay, I have now found seeds, 150 for just over a quid on ebay.

I must be blind!!

Still wouldnt mind some advice on these from experienced growers, like when to sow etc.

Also if anyone knows of any that flower in the autumn after sowing and the spring!
      Last edited by tumbling tom; 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

it will tell you on the packet matey

Comment

Keep dead heading them and they keep flowering in my experience. If you do let them set seed, sow the seed immediately (saw Carol Klein doing that on one of her slots on GW).
          You may want to look into Primula Wanda - these can be divided and flower for a long time.
          Last edited by Jeanied; 12-01-2012, 12:13 PM.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Primula can be divided in the autumn, just dig up a clump and split it apart. Replant the bits separately.

Seed is trickier, but can be done. Last year I managed to save & sow my own seed

Pictorial explanation here: Primula World - A Visual Reference for the Genus Primula
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I sow Primula vulgaris (the native 'un) every autumn. Some germinate quite quickly, others do so sporadically over the winter/spring.

Comment

So do I and I plant them around the base of my trees. Some are out now...along with Scillas.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X