What is this plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this plant?

Went picking sloe berries and blackberries today and came across this plant. What on earth is it? The pink thinks are rock solid and once you get into them contain 4 orange looking seeds. I think it's very pretty and was wondering if I could grow it myself.

Attached Files
    Last edited by sammy_roser; 29-09-2012, 06:06 PM.

That is a spindle tree - sign of a very ancient hedgerow if it is in a mixed hedge.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

It a Spindle tree (Euonymus phellomanus)

Seconded
      Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 29-09-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Thirded Spindle tree | Natural History Museum
        Be aware that the berries may be poisonous! The Woodland Trust | Tree guide | Spindle
        Is any part of the tree poisonous? The berries are a strong laxative/purgative
        Human uses of tree and timber Spindle gets it's name from one of the uses of the twigs- as the spindles used to spin raw wool (the wool is wrapped around the twig) . This is because the twigs are straight and smooth yet heavy. The twigs were also used for skewers, toothpicks, pegs and knitting needles (hence some of its other names). In the past the berries were used as a laxative or baked and powdered and used as a treatment for headlice
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 29-09-2012, 06:37 PM. Reason: to add more info.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys Guess it's not something I should have in the garden with a house full of kitties.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
            Thanks for all the info guys Guess it's not something I should have in the garden with a house full of kitties.
            Only if the kitties are constipated

Comment

it's not something I should have in the garden with a house full of kitties.
              Do your kitties normally eat berries then?

If not, then there's no reason why they'd suddenly start eating spindleberries
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

True, but I have recently gotten a new kitten who chews everything in the house including the few house plants, Once she has been outside for a while if she doesn't try to eat the vegetation I will give it a go

Any ideas the best way to grow one? Can I save the berries for seeds or is it best to grow it from a cutting?

Comment

Any ideas the best way to grow one? Can I save the berries for seeds or is it best to grow it from a cutting?
                  Aha this key question still unanswered... am about to try with some seed (see photo) and wondered if they should be put in the fridge for a time? Evidently Spindle was once fairly common in hedgerows but removed by farmers as poisonous to livestock so became quite scarce but is now making something of a comeback under rural developments, countryside walks etc....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X