More bulb newbie questions!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More bulb newbie questions!

Well, having given up on the idea of planting bulbs in wellies this year I'm thinking about planting them in the new grass we've recently had laid.

The problem is we get horrid amounts of bindweed from the gardens all around us so I don't want any beds as such.

I was thinking I'd use a bulb planter and pop them in the grass.

So far I have some crocus, snowdrops and some narcissi actaea (free from Mr Fothergill )

Do these bulbs need lifting out each year or can I leave them in the ground?
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

You can leave them in the ground, they will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      You can leave them in the ground, they will be fine.
      Lovely! Ta muchley!
      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

The problem with putting bulbs in a lawn is that come April you will probably need to start mowing it. That will mean slicing off the leaves of many bulbs while they are still green which will do them no good at all, failing to flower in future years if they come up at all.

Comment

If you grow them in the grass, as bend1pa says ^^^^ you really need to leave the grass unmown until the bulb leaves die back. I have crocus, snowdrop, mini daffs and bluebells in part of the "lawn". Full size daffs take too long to die back - they have been mown out of existence.
          They're all planted together in a big group, so that there is continuity of flowering but the grass can be mown around the patch, The mauve crocuses ?Tommasiana are self seeding over the lawn but they're very early and disappear before mowing time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X