sweet peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet peas

I sowed some sweet pea seeds recently foolishly thinking they'd take ages to grow, like normal peas. Only they haven't. Now they're about 8" tall and really in need of moving on - what's the best thing to do with them please? Can I just keep re-potting like other stuff, and plant out later? I'm just concerned because they grow all tall and wiggly, and I don't know how long I can leave them without proper support... Thx
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

You need to pinch out or chop the tops to encourage them to bush up.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Like VVG says, pinch out the tops. This will encourage them to produce sideshoots. What size pots are they in at the moment, and where are you keeping them?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
        Like VVG says, pinch out the tops. This will encourage them to produce sideshoots. What size pots are they in at the moment, and where are you keeping them?
        The pots are square rather than round, and are about 10cm each way. I planted 10-12 seeds in each pot, and I moved them from a warm place (big trough with heated cable) into the unheated polytunnel yesterday - onto a hanging shelf which is fleeced at night.

Comment

10-12 seeds in each pot they do not need heat. I sow three seeds in a 3" pot and stick them in a gravel tray on my greenhouse shelf. When they are up about five - six inches, I pinch out their tips and as RL says you will get side shoots throw out.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Ah, is that way too many then VVG? I used to just buy small pots from the little shop around the corner in Leeds, rather than grow them myself, and they were always squashed in together so I thought that was the way to do it! But I must admit I wasn't expecting them to be ready to plant out just yet - if I could put them outside, there wouldn't be a problem! Should I try to separate them into more pots do you think, or leave them be, pinch out the tips and hope for the best? The next batch will go straight into pots in the tunnel too . They just look so delicate don't they? I assumed they'd like to have nice warm tootsies like me!

Comment

Pics would be handy. I would guess the roots will be tangled so could be tricky splitting and repotting. Alternatively sow some more if splitting didn't work or plant up what you have per pot into an even bigger pot. You could then sink that into the ground when ready with a tripod of canes over the top and you'll be away. Does any of this make sense as it reads like garbage to me? I know what I mean but I'm struggling to get it across.

Comment

They like the sun for flowering and if in the poly will bring pollinators in. I like to put a few in each veg bed to give height and to bring the buzzies around, but they don't need heat at this stage or necessarily need a poly.
                Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 16-03-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Recommendations according to my sweet pea seed packet:

Sow 5 seeds per 5 inch pot, place in a cold frame, greenhouse or cool windowsill.

Pinch out growing tip when two pairs of leaves have formed to encourage bushy growth.

Gradually accustom plants to outside conditions (avoid frosts) before planting out. Support with tall canes and/or netting.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I can't find my packets offhand RL, but I'm fairly sure they're from Simply Seeds and didn't come with a lot of info.. however, I may be being unfair. So thanks for passing that on for me . VVG - took some photos, but not sure how helpful they'll be. Am I too late to pinch out now they've gone so far beyond 2 leaves??
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pinch out for sure as they are unable to support themselves. They should be somewhat self supporting low down. It won't hurt them. Nips their tops right orf

Comment

Pinch out the growing tip above the first two pairs of leaves. And keep them cool but not frosty.

Comment

Thanks both, I'll get them sorted out tomorrow then

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                            if I could put them outside, there wouldn't be a problem!
                            Why can't you?

Sweet peas are hardy. Just harden them off for 7-10 days if you want to be super safe
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've realised I've grown way too many sweet peas - am planning to grow them up a tall trellis and a wigwam, but there's still too many left over. So a quick question - I've got a long picket fence which is about 4 foot tall - if I planted some sweet peas against it would they grow horizontally when they reached the top, or do they only grow upwards (the variety I've sown reach around 6 ft)?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X