Taking Fir tree cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Fir tree cuttings

We wanted to get some fir trees but thought we might as well take cuttings from my parents garden rather than buying them. From what I umderstand they can take 1yr to establish roots which is fine but then I heard its very complex grown from fir cuttings as you need a special misting system and spot on temperature control.

ANy advice going forward with this?
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Plastic bag held in place with a elastic band to create humidity should be OK apparently ..........

How to Plant a Pine Tree Cutting | eHow.co.uk
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

What sort of fir trees are they?

Comment

You wouldn't really prefer something more wildlife-friendly than fir trees? Really? Please?
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ahh,but without fir trees there would be no Goldcrest's & that would be a shame.
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Yes, growing fir trees from cuttings is a painstaking task plus the chance of success is a bit low especially in places with alternating extreme weathers. What we did with ours was we replanted a grown one, it was about 15 feet already, from my parents’ place. We had to get the services of a professional arborist, the nearest to us was Jim, because we had no prior experience replanting grown trees. After about 2 years the fir tree is growing healthy. Look around your area for a grown one and have it replanted, I think it’s easier that way, but more costly too.

Comment

Yes, growing fir trees from cuttings is a painstaking task plus the chance of success is a bit low especially in places with alternating extreme weathers. What we did with ours was we replanted a grown one, it was about 15 feet already, from my parents’ place. We had to get the services of a professional arborist, the nearest to us was Jim, because we had no prior experience replanting grown trees. After about 2 years the fir tree is growing healthy. Look around your area for a grown one and have it replanted, I think it’s easier that way, but more costly too.

Comment

Had a look at your link Whitney, and it seems that Jim is an Australian.

I presume therefore that you are based in Australia.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X