Perennial Flowers from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perennial Flowers from seed

I always have space in the garden for more flowers. My garden is a frost pocket and I seem too lose a few every year. I top up with a few trips out, usually Malvern or local garden fairs. Anyway last year i had a few lupins on the go and they've done really well for this year.
    So for next year I've already sown some more lupins, foxgloves, hollyhocks and rudbeckia green wizard.
    Anyone got anymore varieties to add to my list that I can sow now till September that will flower for next year?

Aquilegias do well here as does Red or White Valerian

Comment

Thanks Thelma - just got myself some Aquilegia, Purple Guinness and some Delphiniums. I have some red valerian that seems to self seed so I'm good with those.

Comment

How about some Asters
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I've got some lovely blue/purple ones that the bees love, pretty sure they're veronicas. I may even have some seed left somewhere if they look like the sort of thing you'd like.

Just looked them up, they are the spiked variety of Veronica.
          Last edited by Dotty Sarah; 25-05-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

BB just checked them out - they are annuals but I can still sow in May. I'll give those a shot too for some late colour.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 25-05-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I have sown agastache this year, and loads of them have germinated, I'm going to have a garden full of it! I was growing it for the pretty flowers, but apparently the leaves taste of aniseed so they are even more garden-worthy! Beloved of bees too
              Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

Verbascum, Cerinthe, .......Have a look at Higgledy Garden - plenty of advice on what to grow when and it'll give you a laugh as well Top Annual Flowers For Cutting | Higgledy Garden

Comment

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm off to the GC tomorrow!

Comment

How about polemonium, Jacob's ladder? It seems to be in the tough-as-old-boots* category and I've been digging out self-seeded plants this year. Don't know how long it takes to get to flowering size as I didn't plant it. I have the white form and it's lovely; I think it also comes in blues/mauves.

Also in the t-a-o-b category are aquilegias and Welsh poppies, which both self-seed enthusiastically, and astrantia although I'm not sure about growing that from seed.

*as in, survived at least three years of total neglect, including one winter with a meter of snow, and a massive invasion of ground elder and hawkweed
                    Last edited by eirish; 28-05-2013, 11:24 AM.
                    March is the new winter.

Comment

Verbena bonariensis grows easily from seed and then self seeds liberally in the garden. I've done lychnis chalcedonica (maltese cross0 before and got plenty of plants.

Comment

Penstemon grows easily from seed and flowers from June to November in my garden. The bees love it and the slugs ignore it. It's frost hardy once grown up - mine sailed through this last winter - but might need a bit of weather protection if the plants are small.

Echinacea is easy as well.

As VC mentioned, Verbascum is nice too, you can sow that now and get decent plants to flower next spring. Mine are flowering now and will probably give a second lot of flowers in the autumn if I cut the dead ones off smart-ish.

Coreopsis - you can sow that now too, but the variety I'm growing ("Early Sunrise") doesn't last very long, it's more like a biennial for me.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions. I have a few penstemons in the garden already and they seem to be real work horses- so I will def give those a shot. My list is getting very long and ive already got a few suggestions sown! Every year I buy in new plants or throw out the annual seeds and I tend to stick to the same varieties.
                          I'd forgotten I'd planted this last year, "found" it this morning. Aquilegia swan burgundy and white. Really stunning.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X