False spikenard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False spikenard

Does anyone grow false spikenard (Smilacina racemosa)? If so, what can you tell me about it? I've only just come across it and it sounds the sort of plant that would be happy in my north facing clay based garden, but I don't have a lot of room, so if it's a thug that spreads fast (I see it is rhizomatous), it wouldn't do. As it's a plant that is scented, early flowering, good natured, and not fussy about sunshine I'd like to give it a go.
    Last edited by mothhawk; 30-05-2013, 07:38 AM.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Found it on the RHS site, and they say it has a half metre spread, which is perfect, so ordered seeds from Chiltern seeds - bit late in the year to start it, but I'll give it a go anyway.
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi Mothhawk.

It is an easy plant to grow. Likes partial shade or full shade. Is hardy and likes its soil to be kept moist. They do not like chalky soils. The times to plant the seeds is September to November so you are certainly not too late in fact you are too early. Divide mature plants March to May. It is not a bully of a plant or intrusive - in fact it will form dense clumps rather than run riot across your land. spreading slowly by underground rhizomes, building up into dense clumps. Approximate spread is about 60 cms and height 90 cms. When it flowers long fluffy, cream plumes of flowers emerge at the tip of each stem.

Comment

Its not a plant that I know MH. However, it seems it has edible berries so I may be tempted. Seeds may take up to 2 years to germinate so hope you're not in a hurry
        Smilacina racemosa False Spikenard PFAF Plant Database

Comment

That's just the sort of info I wanted Cheops, thanks.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Its not a plant that I know MH. However, it seems it has edible berries so I may be tempted. Seeds may take up to 2 years to germinate so hope you're not in a hurry..
          Thanks for the link VC, good info there.

2 years!! I'll have to keep them in a VERY well labelled pot then, or I'll forget what and where they are. I'll have a look round for a plant as well maybe. There's only a dozen seeds in the packet but you're welcome to some VC, when they arrive. Then if I forget where I've put mine, or tip them out in mistake, you can be my back-up.

'Twas the edible berries thing that caught my eye - I first saw it under the name "treacle-berry" which sounded intriguing and curious
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Yes, 2 years - you can lose a lot of seed labels in that time (I know!) This lot have plants Woodland Plants - Herbaceous Woodlanders - Maianthemum racemosa syn Smilacina racemosa - under another name just to confuse us
            As for PFAF database, I always look there first for information. Plant uses intrigue me. If you can get hold of this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plants-Futur.../dp/1856230112 its worth a read. I picked mine up cheap somewhere

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X